Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wooden floorgrate in magma  (Read 866 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
wooden floorgrate in magma
« on: July 08, 2008, 07:29:32 pm »

I plan on building grates to walk on in a pit that will be filled with magma later.
I'd like the grates to burn/melt when that happens.

doeth this worketh?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: wooden floorgrate in magma
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 08:52:30 pm »

If they are wooden or stone they will. however some things contain magma regardless, like walls.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 09:59:41 pm »

If the grate occupies the same square as the magma, bye bye grate. If the grate is above the magma, it should be fine.

Walls that have been turned into fortifications (natural or constructed walls) can be walked on and will not melt, regardless of the material they are made from.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Rock_n_Rat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 10:43:52 pm »

i dont think you can walk across fortifications
wat i would do is make floor out of steel which doesnt melt in magma

using steel can also keep magma men and imps out of you forge
I put a thing about it on the wiki idk if its still there XD

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 01:23:12 am »

Fortifications carved or constructed can not be walked on.

From some of the behavior I have seen they don't seem to reach all of the way through a z level like a wall would.

As for the grate, if you want it to survive then make it out of a magma safe material(iron, steel, and a few other materials).  If you don't want it to survive then just make it out of whatever is convenient and isn't magma safe.

I believe all of the b->C menu is magma safe regardless of material(it is at least for walls, floors, and various stairs).  Also any of the d-> menu that you carve of out rock or sand(etc...) is magma safe regardless.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 03:53:22 am »

It states that magma-safe materials are known to include iron, glass, steel, bauxite and adamantine. Now the "glass" part i find to be interesting because it isn't listed as "materials that resist magma" below that statement. Anyone know more on how "glass" is supposed to be known to be magma-safe?
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 05:15:11 am »

Wrong. Fortifications carved in constructed walls can be walked on. Fortifications carved in natural walls can be walked on. I have just tested and confirmed both of these within the game.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 06:38:36 am »

Fortifications carved in constructed walls can be walked on. Fortifications carved in natural walls can be walked on. I have just tested and confirmed both of these within the game.
Yup, I was just about to type this, a built fortification is not high enough to be walked upon on the next z level. However if you carve it out of an existing wall, its different.

Something else I came upon in my magma experiments:
Is there any difference between lava and magma, apart from the floor tiles above?

Oh, and about keeping magma dwellers out of the forges: I built them out of obsidian and made sure that the magma channel is under the impassable tile of each shop. Does this suffice to keep me safe?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 06:40:27 am by Puck »

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 08:10:55 am »

Wrong. Fortifications carved in constructed walls can be walked on. Fortifications carved in natural walls can be walked on. I have just tested and confirmed both of these within the game.

Expletive.

You are right.  I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that...I will just blame the dog.