Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buggy Game  (Read 1028 times)

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Buggy Game
« on: July 09, 2008, 07:16:50 am »

I have a save at themoment which has some bugs, last time I reported one I found out it was not actually a bug and I had simply missed some part of the gameplay which solves the non-bug problem I was having. Although I know this happens a lot and is not a major crime I would still love to avoid cluttering up the bug report forum uneccesarily so I am going to list all the problems I am having here in the hope that those that are not bugs (I can check if they have been reported already) will be solved for me before I officially report them.

1) I got a message saying a Rhesus macaque had stolena steel spear and I immediately killed all the offending creatures on the map but they never dropped it, then I found that both my steel spears had been stolen and my spearmen were now unarmed. They were undrafted at the time and had dropped them. (This one happened ages ago and it's possible I missed a doubled message and the monkeys left before I could kill them so I wont report this regardless but it happened so I thought I would mention it)

2) I accidentally deconstructed my trade depot resulting in the humans leaving behind all their stuff. (This has already been reported and is not classified as a bug, but this was when everything else started going wrong so I thought it might be related.)

3) A large number of large gems are sitting on my trade depot and there is a finished goods stockpile with empty squares on it that only accepts large gems, yet there are no hauling jobs for them and they aren't being moved at all (these gems were not fromt he caravan that left there stuff due to deconstruction they are from the next caravan to come along and were traded legitimately)

4) My combat unit axe and spearmen two of them have gotten stuck after picking up equipment, they just stand on the spot where they picked it up from, on or off duty makes no difference. They are not properly stuck as they go off to eat and drink and sleep but then they come back and I can't persuade them to station anywhere.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 07:32:49 am by Drunken »
A stopped clock is right for exactly two infinitessimal moments every day.
A working clock on the other hand is almost never ever exactly right.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Buggy Game
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 07:31:17 am »

You get the "x has stolen y" message at the moment x leaves the map with the y. There's nothing you can do when it gets to this point.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 07:35:56 am »

2. If you want to steal the caravan's good, seizing them from the trade menu is easier.
3. Gems go on a gem stockpile
4. What is their current job when standing there? That they go off to do other stuff suggests that this is a settings problem rather than their behaviour being bugged.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 07:56:27 am »

2) I know it was an accident (yes I know its an unlikely and stupid mistake but there you have it)
3) Large gems go on a finished goods stockpile, but even if they didn't theres also plenty of free space on the gems stockpile
4) Soldier, which settings should I check?

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 08:09:12 am »

1) As mentioned, you only get "X has stolen Y" at the moment that X and Y both dissapear from the map. At that point, it's too late.
2) Don't feel bad. They're still going to trade with you.
3) Make absoloutely sure the stockpile is a finished good stockpile, that accepts Large Gems (and ONLY Large Gems), and you have plenty of idle dwarves.
4) De-mobilize the dwarves in question. They've gotten stuck in the pick-up bug, where they continually pick up and drop equipment. Turn them back into civilians, they should doff all their military gear and go back to work. Then turn them back into sojers, and hopefully they'll go and pick their gear up properly.

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 08:19:01 am »

4) this possiblity seems to of been overlooked: - There are two states that gems can be in cut or uncut. If a gem is described as rough then it is uncut and will only be accepted to stockpiles allowing uncut gems so you could be asking for the wrong product.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 02:18:02 pm »

Two: I've done that as well, when the traders still hadn't left for ages after I got the "the traders will be leaving soon" message I got desperate and tried it. Now that I know more I think they were just lagging up my game so bad that it seemed like forever. Does anyone know if it has the same effect the next year as siezing their goods does? That is, do they still bring less stuff or does it not count since it was done after trading was over?

On three, I wasn't sure from your description whether the stockpile was accepting other things or not, but if it isn't make sure that you have the quality and material settings right. Also, this is kind of obvious but it confused me for a while, if you set the options by turning "type" off and then turning large gems back on the pile won't accept anything. You have to leave type on and deselect everything inside the category individually. Barring any of those, is everyone too busy? Grabbing stuff from the depot seems to be low priority at times.

On four, I've had that happen as well. It was actually pretty funny, as civillians kept running up and putting what he had taken out but not equipped back in the bin. I could imagine these obsessive compulsive dwarves running up to the poor guy, ripping the armor he had just grabbed out of his hand and throwing it back in the stockpile: "NO! It goes HERE!" He managed to equip a helm and a couple other pieces, so I finally just told him to forget it and go spar.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 06:35:49 pm »

4) this possiblity seems to of been overlooked: - There are two states that gems can be in cut or uncut. If a gem is described as rough then it is uncut and will only be accepted to stockpiles allowing uncut gems so you could be asking for the wrong product.
Not overlooked. Caravans only trade cut gems, you can't buy uncut gems from them. ;)

Drunken: No worries. My point 2 was mainly for others reading the thread and trying to get "free" goods by deconstructing the depot. Also, it could have been worse. Try deconstructing a bridge accidently when the caravan is on it! I didn't even get their items!
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Hackenslacker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 07:37:01 pm »

3) There are *three* gem states, not two: rough, cut, and large. Rough and cut gems go in Gems piles (with "Rough Gem" and "Cut Gem" permitted). Large gems go in Finished Goods piles with Type: large gems permitted; as well as the Material and Qualities set correctly. As stated, check that your pile is accepting the Material (rock?), as well as the Qualities for the gems.

If that doesn't solve it, check "Dwarves Can Go Outdoors" (if there are any outdoors areas along the way to the gems), and "Dwarves Gather Minerals" in your
  • rders menu. Failing that, set a garbage zone near or on the gem pile and [d]ump the gems, then remove the garbage zone and un-[f]orbid the gems.

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 07:12:14 am »

3. Use the "move goods to/from Trade Depot" option at the depot and select the gems that are already there (distance 0) and they'll be returned to their proper places.

Drunken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 08:14:27 am »

Thanks Hackenslacker, that solved my problem with 3. I never thought that the gems counted as material:rock. I wondered if they had a material but I couldn't work out what it was. The problem with the soldiers is the only one now.