Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drowning Start  (Read 1692 times)

Llahlahkje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Drowning Start
« on: July 09, 2008, 02:09:17 pm »

So I just started on the cross section of 3 rivers... it started me on... the frozen ice of the cross section of the rivers... I had 3 days to get everything off before it melted... I failed.

Whee!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Drowning Start
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 02:20:37 pm »

Ah, spring...  Forget winter, spring is far more dangerous.

Just start with a bunch of swimmers, and make a shipwreck (wagonwreck?) fortress.  Or, try starting in a different biome on that map.

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 04:02:05 pm »

Yeah, that's happened to me. I wonder if there would be a way for DF to consider permafrost and ice to be different, so it wouldn't start you on meltable ice.
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 05:38:19 pm »

Mod your dwarves to breathe water...

Hmm. That's actually... I wonder...

What would you have to do to the dwarves to let them breathe and work underwater?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 06:59:41 pm »

make them undead? ::)

give them gills aka [AMPHIBIOUS] or [AQUATIC] maybe [UNDERSWIM] will be neccesary to keep them from floating to the surface.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 07:13:19 pm »

They won't be able to build anything underwater (hardcoded, sadly), but they will breathe just fine and won't mind pathing through water.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 08:10:33 pm »

hmm. so how about creating underwater workshopbubbles using pumps?
realistically it would create a vacuum quickly filled with new water, but in DF you never know...

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 08:21:00 pm »

Wow, that's a shame. Aquatic Dwarves would be awesome. Not half as awesome as aquatic elves, but...

*Coral Longspears* sound like fun.

Frankmanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 08:27:49 pm »

As soon as you realize where the tags are and what they do it's a short, bloody trip from Dwarf Fortress: Slaves to Armok to Dwarf Scientist: That which Armok did not intend

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 08:29:30 pm »

How do you build a pump underwater if you can't build anything?

Though if the workshops don't get destroyed you might be able to flood your fortress after they are built.  Not sure if farming would work or not.

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 11:56:10 pm »

You don't. You build it above to drain out the water in the square you're building from.

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 12:30:12 am »

Why would you need to farm, you could just fish for food and have dwarfs drink water. Altough you might want to surface time to time to brew alcohol. Mmhhh... Now it got me wondering. How and if fishing would work underwater?

I've started on river ice myself a few times. One time I was trapped in a canyon. I had to abandon ship... err... wagon and dig into the cliff face ASAP. In the end I was left with a few straps of food, a bit of wood, a dead miner and six hungry dwarfs. Thing was that my miner was swimming with the carp with my only pick. So my dwarfs died slowly in a small cave. Somehow they managed to survive till autumn when I got reinforcements. Took me two years before I had another pick.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 06:19:48 am »

I'm adding this to a challenge thread. :lol:

Llahlahkje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 01:25:17 pm »

Why would you need to farm, you could just fish for food and have dwarfs drink water. Altough you might want to surface time to time to brew alcohol. Mmhhh... Now it got me wondering. How and if fishing would work underwater?

I've started on river ice myself a few times. One time I was trapped in a canyon. I had to abandon ship... err... wagon and dig into the cliff face ASAP. In the end I was left with a few straps of food, a bit of wood, a dead miner and six hungry dwarfs. Thing was that my miner was swimming with the carp with my only pick. So my dwarfs died slowly in a small cave. Somehow they managed to survive till autumn when I got reinforcements. Took me two years before I had another pick.

That canyon incident is exactly what happened... though the 2 survivors survived because one was a miner, mined up to the surface where they ate herbs til a caravan came and we could trade junk for eeked out food, and then some migrants came, I set them to hunt so we could sell their clothes for food when the wolves killed them, and eat the wolves they managed to kill.

Cruel? Sure.... fun? Definitely :)