Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Infinite water creation?  (Read 1514 times)

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Infinite water creation?
« on: July 07, 2008, 07:17:08 am »

So, I'm stuck at this quaint little mountaintile on top of a chasm, and I would like to build some impressive waterworks. Indoor waterfall, swimming pools etc.

Problem is that there is a very limited amount of water on the map. There are some murky pools, a total of maybe 30 tiles of water. It does neither freeze nor evaporate.

is there any way to process this water to create more? I think I've read that the U-bend bug doesn't work anymore. is this true+ is there another way of doing it using pumps etc?

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Infinite water creation?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 09:53:07 am »

Well, in the current version, just make an enclosed waterfall.  due to a bug, the water will multiply as it falls.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 10:36:01 am »

Well, in the current version, just make an enclosed waterfall.  due to a bug, the water will multiply as it falls.

I've heard there was someting like this going on. Exactly how does this work? Where does the water multiply? I was thinking of creating a "water construction room which would create excess water which would get drained into a larger reservoar.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 01:56:01 pm »

Supposedly, screw pumps will push out more water than they suck up.  The overall gain is rather small however, and may only result from a failure to calculate how much water is going in (5/7 water tile goes in, 7/7 water tile comes out).  You'll probably want to have multiple screw pumps set up in a large circuit in order to make the most of it.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 06:38:37 pm »

I've heard there was someting like this going on. Exactly how does this work? Where does the water multiply? I was thinking of creating a "water construction room which would create excess water which would get drained into a larger reservoar.

how does it work?  Well, so far as I can guess, when the water is falling, it tries to move laterally, when when it hits a wall, the water gets pushed back, but before the 'old' position of the water is removed- which doubles the water somehow.  then, for some reason, the 'erasure' of the 'old' water doens't happen.  boom, more water.
<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 08:13:10 pm »

Assuming the screw pump method works, you could try this:

Start with one screw pump. This pumps water along a single-wide channel to a set of two pumps, which pump to a set of three, which pump to a set of four, etc...

Code: [Select]
.OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
%>....._%>..._%>
.OOOOO._%>..._%>
     OOOOOOO._O
           OO%O
            OvO<----back to beginning

No clue if that actually works or not, but it's an idea. Scaleable, too.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 09:24:45 pm »

Alternately, you could try to have multiple pumps pump from the same tile. Assuming the pumps all pull water from the tile at the exact same time, each pump would pull out that amount of water from the tile, potentially resulting in quadruple output.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 01:52:53 am »

Thanks guys, I think I have something to try out now. Will report back in a few days.