Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wrestling and Legends questions  (Read 1190 times)

fastjack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wrestling and Legends questions
« on: August 11, 2006, 02:51:00 am »

as my elf adventurer was dying under a mob of skeletons i had him try to wrestle one (just cause it had a nmae and he had no weapons) and the screen that came up confused the heck out of me.

Just wondering if anyone could point me to some help with wrestling or offer their own observations.  Tutorials appreciated though i understand if no one understands it that well.

about Legends, seems like a really cool concept, and i was wondering if anyone had uncovered or contributited anything cool to their own legends.  Perhaps you could post it in a marked spoiler thread if there are universal events or such.  Or it Toady could maybe offer a glimpse of the coolness that is or will be found in 'legends' mode.

thanks in advance!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wrestling and Legends questions
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 03:59:00 am »

Hrm, I had a question about the future of Legends mode, too...

Right now masterworks aren't especially interesting.  One planned feature I noticed listed for future was, of course, making them more interesting, allowing the dwarves to make artifacts and so forth.

When that's done, will artifacts, super-masterworks, and other very important objects get their own entry on the legends page?  Legendary weapons could list things like who created them, who they were used to kill, all the adventurers who aquired them, and so forth...  since it's probably harder to destroy a legendary masterwork dwarf sword than it is to kill an adventurer, such items could eventually get more interesting histories than any of the individual people who carried them.

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 04:08:00 am »

To ease Wrestling, It would probably be good ask first which part of our body we want to use, and THEN asking what we want to do with it (instead of having 5 pages long list of actions).

Also, (but maybe it is there, but I haven't seen it yet) we could choose the hit one of the  ennmies body part with one of ours.

Or once we've grabbed something, use it to bach  the other oponent (but maybe it is already there, but I haven't seen it)

Renaxer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 04:19:00 am »

The legends is my favorite area.

I have one girl who was an NPC companion, that slaughtered everything before I could get near the action area, on my list.
Reason I'm mentioning her is cause of her LOOONG name... it kinda overlaps into the time she was born.. no death though cause I died before her.

Was somethin like Mistrah "The cloud weaving cup from august timecups"
Not exactly that, but something far more unique than everyone else...

Looks like this though:
Mistrah "the cloud wh. 118 ecups

But when you view her she has like 8+ historical kills which seem really spaced apart.

Only compliant I have is... she's so hard to compete with!    :(

~~~~
Wrestling was fun to try out... and the list does seem a bit overwhelming.. but I got to strangle a wolf while holding it's nose! Arr!

[ August 11, 2006: Message edited by: Renaxer ]

oof

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 04:29:00 am »

I dont quite get wrestling.

Wrestled an antman once. If i dont specify what to do - my guy just grabs whatever and next turn release it, then grabs something else. Why cant he DO anything beside grabbing ?
I i DO specify what to do - he does grabs what i told him to, but then he releases it next turn and its all over again.

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 04:37:00 am »

Try grabbing upper arms or upper legs, for example. After that you should have a possibility of trying to take a joint lock of a shoulder/hip, after which you have an option to try and break it. And I think grabbing an enemy with you hand allows you to gouge it's eyes out.

It's a cruel game..

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 04:57:00 am »

Can you grab to opponents heads and clash one against the other ?

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 05:42:00 am »

As far as I've seen, you can gouge out eyes by grabbing the head with a hand, break/sprain limbs by grabing them and choke people by grabing the throat. Rather randomly, I could take down an enemy while grabbing the head and even throw them by it, but I guess the possibilities of those are relative to size, so I won't be able to throw a giant or something. Oh, and wrestling also allows you to grab the enemies weapon and keep them from using it. I remember on my first battle with a spear wielding kobold, I grabbed his spear, punched him away and was left with his spear in hand and next I stabbed him to death with it. :]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 05:45:00 am »

Agree with wrestling interface -- I threw it in at the last minute to allow you as much control as the AI suddenly got in its viciousness.  It needs little helpy things.  For now, yeah, scroll down the list quite a b and use your hands -- you get the most options with your hands.

The AI isn't that good though -- they don't look far enough ahead, and will often make grasps that have no follow ups, like grabbing an already broken limb.  Then they just release.  Wrestling AI is pretty expensive though, since they have to look at a lot of combinations, so I was kinda afraid to read any further ahead.  Going up one more step is necessary though, at least in adventure mode where you see it clearly.

Legends are the high score list for the game, and the more information I collect the better.  Fortresses especially are going to have a lot more collected.  However, you'll uncover this information in subsequent games (just as you uncover your player death cause now), and most of it you'll probably have to get with an adventurer, by reading old dwarven diaries/logs or talking to ghosts or whatever.  I think it'll be a fun process, though it would be easy to make optional if a few people are impatient and want to see their site legends.

The Artifact Arc should see the legends expanded -- artifacts were originally going to be the main focus of the game, but they faded back a bit.  In the future, the power of artifacts will bring them back to the forefront.  This was part of the point of Threetoe's story Heroes of the Coast.  In these stories, Threetoe often focused on some set of planned features.  In Heroes, the idea is that dwarven artifacts which have become scattered throughout the world in many games can be quested for and then used for some purpose.  Currently, it keeps track of every time an artifact changes hands, though it might be hard (impossible?) to reveal these events right now, don't remember.  It also tracks the maker, and whether the artifact was destroyed, but not much more.

You can't bash two parts together in wrestling right now, although there are a billion bloats up about wrestling.  I don't even remember anymore... various things about guts and strangling with guts and impaling and lifting and tearing off limbs and so on.  It's pretty easy to add new moves, unless they are really complicated, like some of the guts ideas, that can involve three participants (like bashing heads together).  Those parry-based cheesy test of strength weapon clashes would be fun too, and could lead to further shit talking...

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

fastjack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 02:18:00 pm »

wrestling sounds cool, i think ill make a mad strangler adventurer now.

i noticed in legends mode that i found some boots somewhere that unlocked a new category: art!

i am just trying to find some of the 209 unknown historical events, see what fun there is there.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 05:00:00 pm »

Hrm...  will there also be, say, good or evil artifacts that will affect the alignment of the area where they're kept?  A good one could be extremely valuable to a fortress or for an adventurer fetch quest, while evil ones could grant fantastic abilities or be used for 'toss the amulet into the pit of dispair' sort of quests.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 05:05:00 pm »

Even though there are currently only dwarf generated artifacts, there are evil ones.  You'll know when you've made one.

Of course, they don't have powers now, but they should have foul names.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!