Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More control over Barrels and Bags  (Read 1348 times)

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
More control over Barrels and Bags
« on: July 04, 2008, 04:45:36 am »

At the moment, it appears that bags and barrels are just assigned to be filled by whatever a dwarf wants to put in them.
It also seems that barrels and bags are already assigned a 'type' from whatever item is first put in them.

Because this can be an enormous pain, I suggest that it be possible to set the 'type' of container they are as they are constructed, and then toggle them afterwards.

The initial setting could be set as a percentage level from a secondary screen from the Management screen. The toggle could be located when using 'k' to look at empty barrels and bags.
This way, we could make certain that a certain number of bags are available for sand, and a certain number of barrels are available for booze.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Baneslave

• Bay Watcher
  • Claymore Thrower Dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: More control over Barrels and Bags
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 05:23:50 am »

You can already do this with barrels, though. In custom stockpile screen, there is "reserved barrels" (or something similar) where you can change how many barrels and bins you can reserve.
[BUTCHERABLE_SIGNATURE]

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 05:37:02 am »

hmm, good point. My bad.
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 05:47:16 am »

I saw the option to preserve barrels, bags and bins too .. but how does it work ?
preserve for what ?

Baneslave

• Bay Watcher
  • Claymore Thrower Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 06:48:19 am »

To not be used in stockpiles, I believe. So you can reserve barrels for brewing, bags to sand collecting and bins for... ?
[BUTCHERABLE_SIGNATURE]

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 01:43:07 pm »

No, that's the number of bins/barrels the dwarves will attempt to keep empty in that stockpile.  New items to the stockpile will go into one of those barrels/bins first and the stockpile will attempt to claim another.

At least that's what I've observed.  Reserving barrels in a drink-only stockpile doesn't mean that dwarves can use that barrel for brewing.  It may be empty, but it is claimed for another task.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 03:05:06 pm »

this is really confusing ..

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 04:12:56 pm »

This is a semi threadjack, but it concerns bags, so I'll put it here.  It would be nice not to have the option to build bags as containers.  When I'm doing a lot of sand harvesting, I tend to make/buy as many leather bags as I can.  So I end up with a whole list of alligator leather, puppy leather, kitten leather, cow leather, donkey leather, giant olm leather, mule leather, horse leather, et cetera bags.  This makes it pretty miserable when installing +obsidian coffers+ in every bedroom :/  Who builds bags, anyway?

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 07:18:49 am »

The Knurlak, of course. Who else?
 :P

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 04:25:35 pm »

I build bags: what else do you do with a masterwork dye job, masterwork weave job, masterwork giant cave spider silk bag? It's worth a little too much to be carrying around sand. Far more than your +obsidian coffer+
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 01:05:37 am »

I've been able to furnish the king's rooms with +grey stone+ items and had it come up to snuff, so I don't see the point in giving him one RIDICULOUSLY priced item to up his room value because it's already good enough.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 01:56:53 am »

I would rather use the *<<*giant cave spider silk bag*>>*  to carry sand, quarry bush leaves or
even bone meal as to give it to a noble :)

( actually the idea is quite good ^^ )