Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF Hard Mode: Gar Fortress  (Read 864 times)

InquisitiveIdiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF Hard Mode: Gar Fortress
« on: May 16, 2008, 10:44:00 pm »

Original thread (and narration of first failed settlement) here

Yesterday, after nerdraging at someone claiming that Dwarf Fortress was too easy, I was inspired to challenge myself.  I wondered if I could make a ruleset so crushingly difficult that even someone who's played for years (namely, me) could not survive long.

Gentlemen, I have succeeded in failing.

The rules:

No traps.

No making food.  No farming, hunting, gathering, etc.  Caravans are my only source of food, though I can cook and brew what I buy.

No crossbowmen.  No ballistas or catapults.

No hiding behind moats, doors, etc.  There's a direct path into my fort that never changes or closes.

Goblins get the [BABYSNATCHER] tag removed to ensure frequent sieges.  Bolt/arrow damage reduced to 10, because meeting vanilla crossbowmen on the field is instant death otherwise.

My first settlement survived two years, two goblin sieges and generated ~250k in wealth before crumbling to a berserk wrestler wearing full steel plate and a masterwork obsidian sword, who sliced his way through the remaining populace like, well, like a masterwork obsidian sword through exposed dwarf flesh.

This is the story of the reclaim team.

Spring, 1054:  A single reclaim team of seven soldiers.  At the embarkation screen I made a big and probably dumb choice; I presumed my new dwarves would have no idea what happened, and therefore would have brought their own anvil + axe and 20 dogs.  Otherwise I could have taken 101 dogs, but would have suffered from very easy early sieges.  Also, I would have had to carve a giant Mickey head into the land to ward off evil spirits.

The berserker is putzing around the edge of the map, biting his shield and sneaking up on groundhogs.  He still has that damn sword, so I'm not going to engage him just yet.  I just hope he doesn't drive off the first caravan.

Nevermind, I believe he starved to death.  Good on him.

To be con't - Nappy time.

[ May 17, 2008: Message edited by: InquisitiveIdiot ]

Languidiir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://tcombat.b1.jcink.com
Re: DF Hard Mode: Gar Fortress
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 11:30:00 pm »

What a great story that was.
A young man said, "Damn,
It is borne upon me that I am
   A creature that moves
   In predestinate grooves
Not even a bus, but a tram."

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 04:53:03 am »

The previous one was a great story, so I'm willing to bet this one turns out entertaining too.
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

White Elephant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 11:32:59 am »

Looking forward to what happens.

Any chance of pictures?
on''t think about me. It makes you easier to eat.