Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunting Grounds  (Read 509 times)

Donkringel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hunting Grounds
« on: July 06, 2008, 04:53:35 pm »

I've always been annoyed with how the game doesn't allow you to force the marksdwarves to practice with metal, and just made sure to keep an eye out for bones and wood, but I had an idea.

On a number of my fortress, I used cages to catch game for easy butchering. Tame em, butcher em, there ya go! Bones and meat.

I had an idea for one extra step however. Create an area for wild game to breed and grow, and occasionally make your marksdwarves into hunters to collect the game. Obviously, you don't want them hunting hippos or elephants, but creatures like deer and warthogs seem like they would do well. You still get their bones, plus the experience of the actual hunt. Has anyone done this?

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
  • Too productive for his own good
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting Grounds
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 05:05:15 pm »

I've done something similar. Embarked in a map clogged with Elephants and, having read Boatmurdered, set about trying to exterminate every single one of them. When I found out it would take a while to get my Marksdwarves properly trained, I ended up building a bunch of cage traps, enclosed a large (20x20) area and built floors on top of the walls around it. After a couple seasons I had ten wild elephants in a small adjacent room (properly roofed, of course) and would let some of them come out by using a door connected to a lever.

Then I just sent the marksdwarves to the platforms around the walled-off area and told them to harass the wildlife. Lots of fun ensued. I used bone bolts, since it made the elephants last longer (or at least I think it did), and I'd be getting 80 bolts from each carcass anyway. Turns out playing with your food really speeds marksdwarf training up!  :D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 05:07:26 pm by Omega2 »
Fire in the disco! Fire in the disco! Fire in the dining hall!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 06:24:02 pm »

urns out playing with your food really speeds marksdwarf training up!  :D

EVERYONE:  Laugh boisterously

****Fade to black*****
****Roll Credits*******
Shoes...

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
  • Too productive for his own good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 07:44:33 am »

Note to self, put less cheddar in my posts.

Mhmmmmmm, cheeeesy...  ;D
Fire in the disco! Fire in the disco! Fire in the dining hall!