Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Grates/Bars and Sunllight  (Read 2232 times)

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grates/Bars and Sunllight
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 07:38:43 am »

Yeah.
Like the dwarf-water-denalization

They only search for unnatural floor tiles.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 07:43:31 am »

so the game does not care which material the roof is made of, as long the area has been channeled ?
I think so. Though I haven't tried it in the most recent versions a constructed roof don't seem to stop your plants from growing.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 09:51:51 am »

You don't even need to channel out the whole roof--just one tile.

Enigma_Nova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 01:50:57 pm »

I found this by mistake when I dug into a small pond while excavating my stockpile. Roaded the muddy away, and built a wood floor over the top of it, and found my stockpile was still 'light' in that area >.>

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 02:14:57 pm »

A rocky outdoor area can never grow outdoor plants. At least, that's my experience with my current fortress. I broke into a higher-up lake and flooded part of the canyon my dwarves were settling in (as well as a small tunnel), it said 'no seeds are available for this location' even when I had lots of rope reed, strawberry seeds, and of course a whole array of cave-suitable seeds which settled in fine on the tunnel part.

Then I tunneled through the cliff into a grassy area, and my outdoor farms worked fine on said grass. I did find out that a grassy shelf of land that had been dropped by cave ins more than once wouldn't retain or grow natural plantlife (bushes, trees), but that's another story.

On my last couple of forts I had magma and sand, so I built green glass walls over my outdoor farms. On this one I don't, so what I did instead was just isolated it with a ridge of wall up above that prevented enemy archers from getting an angle on them, or better yet dividing the hill with channels so nobody could walk up above them at all.  Come to think of it though, whenever I build an enclosed area with a roof outside my fort I find it says Indoors, Light, no matter what the roof is, so it probably wouldn't matter if I covered it up with rock .. it'd just be unrealistic and would break the fantasy. Luckily for me there are no flying critters in my biome.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 02:18:11 pm by Stromko »

RyanW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 07:32:21 pm »

so the game does not care which material the roof is made of, as long the area has been channeled ?

Once sunlight touches a surface, it is forever contaminated.
You went the wrong way Old King Urist

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2008, 10:26:00 am »

Here's what I've found.

Let's say I build aboveground. The tile is Outside Light. No matter what I do to it, I cannot make it Dark. However, putting a roof of any material over it will make it Inside. However, your dwarves will still not want to go there if you order them inside.

Let's say I build underground by digging out a space. It's Inside Dark. In the middle, from above, I channel out a single tile. That single tile is now Outside Light. The underground tiles around it are unaffected. If I floor over that tile from above, it becomes Inside again (though as above, Dwarves will avoid it if they can't go outside, as if it were still Outside).

Aboveground plants need light, but they can be grown Inside. So you can channel out an area aboveground, making a room below, then floor over it. The resulting underground room is Inside Light. And assuming it's sand or soil you can grow aboveground plants on it.

You can't grow underground plants on a Light tile even if it's underground.

Question: If I channel out ten Z-levels, rebuild them with floors, and muddy them, can I build farms on them? It would probably result in ten z-levels of Inside Light farm rooms. But could I even build the farms in the first place?
I know Dwarves obsessively clean muddy floors, so would they clean it up before it could be constructed?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 [2]