Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Meeting rooms, diner rooms, and living quarters  (Read 807 times)

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Meeting rooms, diner rooms, and living quarters
« on: August 11, 2006, 02:14:00 am »

A question, that I haven't seen being asked yet. So I might be a bit slow for understanding : How do you declare a place as a meeting room, a dinner room, or a living quarter...
For exemple for now I have a group of 3x3 rooms, with each a door and a bed (with also nicely carved walls). How do I turn them into leaving quarters ?

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Meeting rooms, diner rooms, and living quarters
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 02:17:00 am »

You "q" on the bed and there will be an option to do what you want.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 02:22:00 am »

Ok. An then the whole room will be considered as a living quarter ?

[ August 11, 2006: Message edited by: flap ]

Gedsaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 02:35:00 am »

as long as the bluey Xs fill up the room space, yes

Premier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 08:27:00 am »

I have a related question, so I thought I'll post here rather then create a new thread.

I want to have a sort of "communal dining hall", with several tables where many dwarves can dine at once. How do I do this properly? I tried digging out the room, putting several tables in it, and then selecting one table, turning it into a dining room, and resizing the dining room to cover the entire dug-out area. However, as far as I understand, only that single table counts as belonging to the dining room this way, the others are "just sitting there". So, is there some way of designating several tables to be mastered to the same dining room?

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding how it works, and a communal mess hall is simply an empty area with many tables, but none of them is designated as a "room"?

BeefontheBone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 08:52:00 am »

If you designate it as a room it'll pick up a single owner I believe - if you have an open area with lots of tables and chairs but don't designate it as a dining room it'll be used communally, but I don't think anyone'll get the "ate in a fine dining room lately" happiness modifier.
etter than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick which has been dipped in sulphuric acid and had razor blades inserted into it. Probably.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 10:39:00 am »

If you drag out a dining hall, and then designate it as a "meeting hall" in [q] view, they'll start hanging out there.  Any furniture (with a few exceptions like coffins) that is covered by the cyan Xs will belong to the dining room.  They should still eat at any table with an adjacent chair no matter what the status is, unless you assign the room to a dwarf.  Rooms that are assigned to dwarves are used only by that dwarf, mostly.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!