Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magmafall  (Read 1078 times)

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
Magmafall
« on: July 05, 2008, 07:02:48 pm »

Magmafall

Has anyone built a large magmafall before? Does it preform any differently from a waterfall?
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Re: Magmafall
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 07:07:40 pm »

Haven't even been able to make a waterfall myself, but I'd assume it works the same only things can walk into it but not out.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 07:14:52 pm »

Haven't even been able to make a waterfall myself, but I'd assume it works the same only things can walk into it but not out.

Check out the Machines thread. I explain how to make a waterfall pool. If you make the pool smaller, and increase the height, you can an aesthetically pleasing waterfall. Also, if you make the fall pass through grates, you can have a happiness station.
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 07:19:04 pm »

Yeah, but I try and make things too overcomplicated for it to work. And I jump from one idea to the next to fast, I went from killing all humans with a goblin siege(Which ended up dying when I couldn't get through an aquifier, my dwarves went mad, and then world gen wouldn't work) to going onto draining an ocean and making dwarflantis. Even a simple thing like a waterfall needs to be a big thing with me, the closest I got was making a waterfall part of my death chamber for unwanted immigrants and the injured once.

Dwarf one: My god! We're going to die in here! Dwarves come in, but they never come out!

Dwarf two: AGH! The waterfall is making the bridge retr- hey! What a lovely waterfall!

Dwarf one: ooooh pretty! What were we just scre-*Impaled on spikes*

didn't work too well.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 01:40:31 am »

Suddenly I'm loving the idea of a killbox with upright spikes that can be filled with shallow water.

Dwarves walk in, the doors seal, you fill it 2/7 with water, impale them nonlethally, then let them slowly bleed/starve to death while standing in water turned red with their own blood.

Hmmm...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 04:38:40 am »

I've only had small scale magmafalls (partly due to the extreme slow speeds of lava) but they function quite similarly. No pressure, for one thing. No mist either. Magma also refills (and flows) way too slowly to make anything grandoise.

However, occasionally a dumb dwarf or donkey will catch alight for some reason.

I miss the 2D version's magma.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 10:03:46 am »

This is possible, but sinse magma flows reeeeealy slow, its not very spectacular. Better used in defence. You also get magma mist off it. Not sure of the implications of that, maybe dwarves get happy thoughts from it :P

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 12:31:56 pm »

"Urist was comforted by a lungful of particles of super-heated rock lately"

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 01:43:30 pm »

I think it's possible to make an impressive magmafall, provided you just make an isolated circuit.

Once you've got the initial supply of magma in the thing, just close it off from the vent and start up a series of pumps.  The pumps should be able to move the magma along at a good (enough) speed, and if you just keep recirculating the magma that falls down you don't have to worry about running out.