Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Idiot dwarf questions  (Read 491 times)

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
Idiot dwarf questions
« on: July 08, 2008, 04:41:46 am »

1) I set up a donkey bone artifact chest in my dining hall to give them something nice to look at, which has made the dining hall legendary but created an odd occurrance. For some odd reason, the entire fortress keeps generating little 'check chest' jobs, running up and peering in the empty communal chest. I've so far not seen it badly interfere with fortress activity, just bored haulers with nothing to haul and so on, but it's puzzling and slightly annoying. Any insight into this?

2) I had a well in a now dead fortress, and yet my dwarves still insisted on river drinking sometimes. The well supposedly had five units of murky water in it, but they did use it by and large. I just occasionally got 'hauler cancel's drink, interrupted by carp' messages and I fear for the little guy's safety. Any way to force them to use a well? I zoned up an area behind the grate in the water channel i'd laid down, hoping if they insisted on zone drinking they would be safe. Still didn't work.

3) Also, last of all, what are your solutions to cutting down the number of useless migrant pets cluttering up my hallways. I've got a little pit complex for my strays, but it infuriates me I can't toss the pets down there with them. I've taken to locking the owners of the most offensive animals up in my bauxite store room until they starve, then de-pet-ising their animals after their long awaited end and then slaughtering the sons of bitches in a fell mood. I've still got a few idiotic critters running loose, attached to migrants I believed to be too useful to kill. I'd like to take them out without killing their owner if I can.
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
Re: Idiot dwarf questions
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 05:08:37 am »

1. Chests set up in areas not owned by a dwarf (ie: anywhere other than a dwarf's room) will generate the "check chest" job. Put the chest in someone's room and make some statues instead.

2. Probably. Dwarves work slower without alcohol so I make sure to keep stocks of alcohol up, hence don't have a great deal of experience with water-drinking dwarves.

3. Make a de-petting room: 1-tile wide hallway, a door passable to everyone, a single square with floor spikes attached to a lever and another door that is NOT pet passable. Have the pet owner walk from one side of the trap to the other, the pet should get stuck in the trapped tile between the doors. Lock the doors, apply the pet-removing lever, unlock to repeat for the next pet. I'm not sure how at risk the former pet-owners are of going batshit, so try with some unimportant dwarves first. And have a great dining room?
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 05:14:25 am »

1-The check chest thing is code that was put in to allow dwarves to check an empty chest for any trinkets, and then wear 'em if they liked them. I personally dislike it, which is why I don't have chests outside of assigned rooms.

2-Did you still have a drinking zone on the river?
Also, by
I zoned up an area behind the grate in the water channel i'd laid down
do you mean in the level of the channel?
If you zone anything, it should be the top of the well itself, and maybe one or two adjacent tiles.

3-Easy to fix. Two doors at either end of a long corridor, with a room and a lever at one end.
E.g.
Code: [Select]
XXXXX
X   XXXXXXXXX
X d D       D
X   XXXXXXXXX
XXXXX

Fill the corridor with spike traps, attach to the lever, and make the left most door pet-proof, right pet passable. Assign pet dwarf to lever, when he goes to pull it his pet will follow. When it's in the corridor, lock both doors, and set lever to repeat. Problem solved.

Edit- Skanky beat me too it :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 05:16:55 am »

But you drew pictures. :)
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Loctavus

• Bay Watcher
  • British Hammerdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 06:07:16 am »

Right, the deal with the chest is what I was expecting. I'll have to wait for some other artefact to be made for the dining room and give my fort leader a little perk in his bedroom for now. Shame really, one of my other forts has a nice gemstone floodgate to look at while they eat.

Nah, the setup I had was : (z zone, x channel edges, w water, g grate to keep evil fish out of my well)

The river was to the right and my well to the left in a little overground hut accessable from the fortress below.

zzzz
xxxxxxxxx
wwwwgw
xxxxxxxxx

I'll try zoning up the well, they were using it, just not all of them all the time. Maybe it had something to do with the well being in use at the time they thought 'I need a drink'. Also, I play as humans and a variety of other self-made races these days :) I call em dwarves on the forums to avoid confusions. They don't require booze, but they loved to get sloshed just as much as real dwarves do. So I make some booze from time to time.

I'll also try those pet killing tips! No more watching everyone trip over the damn dog following my fisherman around. There's something deliciously evil about having the pet's owner throw the switch. 'yes boss' *ker-thunk* *manglescrunch* 'oh noooo, fluffytunnels!'

As for them going batshit, I'd sooner they went crazy when I am ready for them, rather than as a result of some crisis I am trying to deal with on top of them going loony.

Thanks for your help guys.
Tea and -Elf Tallow Biscuits- anyone?