Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Longest surviving outpost?  (Read 848 times)

Frankomatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Longest surviving outpost?
« on: August 11, 2006, 12:45:00 am »

So, how well are you all keeping your dwarves in working order? My second attempt (out of two so far) lasted about... 3.5 years before a wave of immigrants a bit larger than I could handle showed up. Try as I might, I couldn't get enough food fast enough (as I had only figured out how to smelt and make weapons minutes beforehand, hunting wasn't a good option (I couldn't figure out what I was supposed to be gathering for the smelter)), and people started getting unhappy.

This lead to a massive brawl after someone threw a tantrum and stormed into the party room, also pull of unhappy people, and knocked out a child in one blow. By the end of the brawl, blood was everywhere and the only people left were 4 dwarves who ran off and locked themselves in their rooms and died of thirst.

Kinda depressing, eh?  ;)

polpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Longest surviving outpost?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2006, 02:36:00 am »

sob sob 37 dwarves dead...

i just lost my longest running game to the massacre bug as well. there are at least 18 dead dwarves on the screen. One of my guys just went insane and the messge went by too quick for me to see who it was...

this was the result:

Also... I got some weird bug right to the north of my entrance, looks like some error of what the display is supposed to be?

it kept creeping one square east every once in a while, but it was always those same 4 square tall.

This occured right after I had a cave in in that first room, I cleared out the rubble, and demolished the trade depot I had outside and built one right there. I noticed it right then, but I think it started after the cave in...

[ August 11, 2006: Message edited by: polpoint ]

[ August 11, 2006: Message edited by: polpoint ]

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2006, 03:09:00 am »

Use the [a]nnouncements key to check all of your previous announcements.  This is a lifesaver.

I'm guessing you already know, but a new version is up where the civil war bug has been fixed. =)

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 04:53:00 am »

This has nothing to do with the topic, but I didn't feel like starting a new thread and just remembered my question because of that picture in that post. So..

Is the wagon good for anything? I've always removed it right at the start, but many of you seem to keep it around.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 04:55:00 am »

The one thing its good for - is that idling dwarves will hang around or in the wagon, if they dont have their own bedrooms yet.

PS. Man, that picture is messy...

[ August 11, 2006: Message edited by: karnot ]

Renaxer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 04:58:00 am »

For sentimental reasons silly!
It's what you have from the homeland!!

I just leave it cause I'm too busy trying to  keep up & find something for the dwarves to do...

Why, does breaking it down provide more resources?!

oof

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 05:50:00 am »

The creeping thing in the picture (I think) is the double-detailing engravings.  If you designate an area to be detailed more than once, the dwarves will come by and engrave it with pictures.  This increases the value of rooms by quite a bit.  They usually go from left to right, so the fact that the thing is creeping east makes me think this is detailing.

Idle dwarves just hang around the center of the cliff if you don't have anything else, so you can trash the wagon if you aren't attached to it.  It's worth 3 wood.  If anybody has been crazy enough to try a glacier or treeless desert, it's all the wood you're going to get until the mushrooms start growing inside after 3 years...  quite harsh.  Traders don't bring wood yet...

Incidentally, saguaros really do provide wood, in the form of these internal ribs they have.  I didn't know that until I looked it up.  Then I added them as the desert tree, though there are probably some other candidates.

[ August 11, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 05:59:00 am »

I actually tried one game in a desert.. Actually it was unintentional, but anyway. There were some saplings, but they couldn't be cut. Oh, and there was no river, of course.

Now this is getting even more off-topic, don't think that was my longest surviving fortress.

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Prospero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 11:31:00 am »

I have yet to get any of my fortresses past one year old  :D My longest surviving one so far went up until the first lot of migrants, at which point I ran out of food... things were pretty obviously going to go pear-shaped from that point so I abandoned.

Am having fantastic fun with this, even though my fortress design and food management skills are apparently rubbish (building a kitchen that blocks off a vital travelway - priceless!)  :D

Prospero - a mostly harmless mage of Dejenol
Lead Alchemist of the Return to Dejenol Project
Maintainer of Prosper

Frankomatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 11:46:00 am »

Heh heh. My slaughter wasn't from the civil war bug. It was just a matter of everyone being really unhappy and all gathered in one spot. The child getting beaten sent about half of them into tantrums leading to fist fights to the death.  ;)

polpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2006, 05:00:00 pm »

Yeah, right after I posted this, I saw that they fixed the massacre bug, so I loaded up that game too see how it would go when they were more calm, but I only had 3 guys and one had been in bed for at least half a year and pretty much stayed unconscious already and the other guy looked like he was in as bad shape. Then all the dead bodies started gassing up the entire mountain so I just abandoned it.

Now I am just trying to figure out the stupid water channels. then I will just flood everybody if they start acting up.

In one of the newer games I played one of my dwarves kept bugging out cause there was never any prepared food around. Then I got a huge migration of like 11 dwarves at once and that was just too much for her, I guess. I was off doing soemthing else, come back to my fort and there are five bodies splattered around. but at least I could jusut bury those misfits. out of sight out of mind.

Now we just need a cannibal option for when it gets really bad in the dead of winter, caved in with no picks.

polpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2006, 05:02:00 pm »

oh yeah!! the wagon rocks! when your dwarves are really pissed they come and tip the whole thing over bwhaahea

not only does all your stuff fly everywhere for the racoons to get, you get 3 woods!