Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Super small fortress on super low end computer?  (Read 2000 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Super small fortress on super low end computer?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 07:53:05 am »

I actually find excess stone slows my game down the most... I'm not sure if thats just a feeling or if its accurate but it seems that when i have tones of the stuff laying around it goes slower then after i've dumped it all down a chasm...
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 07:55:58 am »

DF can profit from dualcores.

If you se all labour of the pc on one core and give one full core to DF it WILL profit.
^^

Actually thats the worst thing you can do for dual core. Most (all?) operating systems will shift excess processes off the a core if one is using a lot to try and balance (although with windows you may want to shift df to a second core on startup). however if you enforce df to just one core then you don't benefit from allowing the extra threads df uses (I believe it's sound but i'm not sure) to move to another core.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 11:13:24 am »

If you se all labour of the pc on one core and give one full core to DF it WILL profit.
^^

Does anyone know if DF supports 64bits or is there something that makes it do so? =D

It does not, as I understand it, for 64-bit to work DF would need to be fully reprogrammed. Wish it did, I have 64-bit vista and would stand to profit from it :D Anyways, yeah that dual core plan would work. Wonder if there is some sort of "core-management" program, would let you quickly switch which processes are assigned to which core.
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

Alex Encandar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2008, 11:20:03 am »

^^

Actually thats the worst thing you can do for dual core. Most (all?) operating systems will shift excess processes off the a core if one is using a lot to try and balance (although with windows you may want to shift df to a second core on startup). however if you enforce df to just one core then you don't benefit from allowing the extra threads df uses (I believe it's sound but i'm not sure) to move to another core.

I remember reading that Dwarf Fortress doesn't have any extra threads, that's why shifting it to one core solo, should work.
Onolerar (Desert Fort) Map Thread
Hammerwalls (Ocean Fort) Map Thread
Fountaintomb (Aged fort) Map Thread
Earthday (Hazard Fort) Map: Thread:

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 11:40:01 am »

I remember reading that Dwarf Fortress doesn't have any extra threads, that's why shifting it to one core solo, should work.

The game code doesn't but if you just check a process view you'll see the extra threads, I seem to recall it was three in total. The two minor ones don't use much processor, mostly things like the thirdparty fmod handling sound and the like. However this means by limiting df to one core there is no way it can spread the threads over.

Although thinking about it I'm not sure windows can run a thread on a different processor anyway, only processes on a different one.. so it might not matter :)

(can I be any less sure?)
Pages: 1 [2]