Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smelter Item Reactions  (Read 1323 times)

Malaclypse 3

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Smelter Item Reactions
« on: July 05, 2008, 07:13:19 am »

As I understand it only smelters can have there reactions changed; is it possible for this reaction to create an item rather than a piece of material?

I have been trying to create wooden weapons, if that is possible then what would the code be?  Would it require a specific type of wood or could it be allowed to use any?

[REACTION:WOODEN SWORD]
[NAME:make wooden sword]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:1:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:COAL_BITUMINOUS]
[PRODUCT:100:1:******]

This is the reaction I have been using as a test as all the materials to perform it can be taken when starting.  Where "******" is the various arrangements of words I have attempted.

Malaclypse 3

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Smelter Item Reactions
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 09:17:05 am »

After several experiments, I can answer my own question.  I will list the results here in case they are useful to anyone else.  Creating wooden weapons isn't everyones cup of earl gray, but what I have found out has a few applications if you are, like me new to this.

[REACTION:WOODEN SWORD]
[NAME:make wooden sword]
[SMELTER]
[PRODUCT:100:1:WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_SHORT:WOOD:PINE]

This creates a wooden short sword made out of pine.  PINE can be replaced with any type of wood or left blank for generic wood.  This doesn't require a reagent but one could be added.

The Wiki explains a lot of this but it took me a few attempts to get the entry correct. 

The first number after PRODUCT is apparently the percentage chance of success.  The next number is the amount of product created, in this case one item.

I believe the next entry to be the where the program looks for the information.  These are split up into different folders; you seem to need the name after the "_" so "WEAPON" from "ITEM_WEAPON".

After that is the name of the object, which can be found in the relevant folder listed after the folder name;"ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_SHORT" from "ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SWORD_SHORT".

The next part is the material and then the type of that material.

I had intended to use this in an elf civilisation; renaming the furnace operator to something more mystical, unfortunately I don't think I can rename the smelter itself.  You could use this to create bows but the game still won't recognise them as trainable weapons.  There is also the added problem of building the smelter out of fire proof material that you don't have.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 10:47:01 pm »

You got the tag "wrong" in the code-ish part of your second post (it should be ITEM_WEAPON, not just WEAPON), but you fixed it later in your post, so I'll let it go for now.

Also, I don't quite remember smelters needing to be built out of fire-safe materials. If I happen to be wrong, you could make a reaction to turn wood into stone or something... Maybe a custom stone called "hard wood" if you wanted it to be a bit more "realistic."

Not that elves smelting wooden bows is realistic, but...

Anyway, one last thing: you can only re-name the professions that end in "man," i.e. most of the non-elite military professions, as well as craftsmen and fishermen. So not furnace operators. Maybe Toady will fix this eventually.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 10:48:33 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 01:09:09 am »

The only problem with making a reaction to make a stone from wood so one would have a fire safe material to build a smelter out of, is you would need a fire-safe material in the first place.

Malaclypse 3

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 06:52:14 am »

Also, I don't quite remember smelters needing to be built out of fire-safe materials. If I happen to be wrong, you could make a reaction to turn wood into stone or something... Maybe a custom stone called "hard wood" if you wanted it to be a bit more "realistic."

Not that elves smelting wooden bows is realistic, but...
They do unfortunately have to be made out of fire proof materials. 

Thank you for the information about professions, I was trying to change them using the profession token list on the Wiki to no avail.

I would have used another workshop for the reaction if I could but sadly smelters are all I can use, maybe this will be changed eventually too.

Giving Elves the [MINOR_METAL] rule allows them to make smelters, but gives them access to a lot of other things as well.  It is preferable to giving them the stone preference rule though.

Elves are playable like this but I am still thinking about how to make playing them interesting.  Without the [MINOR_METAL] tag they can't dig or cut down trees, and without stone they can't build cages (no mechanisms) which is the only way to tame animals.  As no animals attack them they can go about doing whatever they want until the goblins show up.  Unless some sort of building material is obtained then they can't build anything either.  Hunting down the animals for resources (assuming you can) seems out of character.  This leaves farming.  Still it gives a nice change of pace before your elves request beds and chairs that can only be built out of the wood they can't obtain.  Even if you could you still need to put them inside.

Wood logs could of course be generated from the smelter if you have a preference that allows you to build it.  But centering your entire resource producton around the 'magic pot' seems unfair.

Any ideas are welcome.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 07:55:22 pm »

They do unfortunately have to be made out of fire proof materials.

Huh, you're right. I guess I was confusing "fire proof" with "magma proof."
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.