Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Not drinking. Maybe saltwater problem?  (Read 512 times)

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Not drinking. Maybe saltwater problem?
« on: July 04, 2008, 01:40:27 pm »

I started a fortress next to the ocean, expecting my dwarves to, at the least, be able to drink from ponds until I got the brewing industry set up.  Also, i did a little test of digging down to (what I think) was an aquafier and making an underground pond.  However, the dwarves would not drink from any areas, with or without water zones set up.  As spring of the second year came rolling around they started to drop like flies (I spent too much time on housing... my fault...).

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Not drinking. Maybe saltwater problem?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 01:46:07 pm »

Currently all water on an ocean map is considered salty.  Even rivers, this is a very old known bug.

There are ways around it though: pump it into a constructed pool and it'll be clean.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 01:49:46 pm »

There are ways around it though: pump it into a constructed pool and it'll be clean.

That is both walls and floors must be 'b'uilt, if any part or your reservoir touches natural rock/soil, the water becomes salty again.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 09:08:02 am by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 03:25:09 pm »

That is both walls and floors must bu uilt, if any part or your reservoir touches natural rock/soil, the water becomes salty again.

In my experience I only needed walls...

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 10:45:46 am »

I'm pretty sure I've got it working without any constructed walls or floor... Actually I'm not sure about walls, but (constructed) floor shouldn't needed.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.