Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need a Good Way to Destroy My Fort  (Read 743 times)

furrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need a Good Way to Destroy My Fort
« on: July 05, 2008, 06:25:13 pm »

Nishrimtar, "Tradecastle" has begun to bore me with it's success, wealth and general good luck.  At 80 dwarves in 1056 I've easily repelled the ambushes.  I have so much valuable stuff in my fortress but have no idea what the purpose of trade is since my fort is already self sustaining mostly.  I would love to accumulate some kind of wealth but there's only so much you need when your fort is initially built through a copper vein and next to water.

I've dug about a dozen mine shafts now down to around -20 and discovered a whole bunch of useless deposits but haven't found what I want: brutal and quick death for everyone in the fortress. 

Do you guys know any good ways to end everything quick without giving up? 

The gobbos are weak and cowardly and I can't seem to provoke (or attack) the stupid Elves.  I wish I would just find the deposit of you-know-what so I could die with grace (ie. tentacle monsters).

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
Re: Need a Good Way to Destroy My Fort
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 06:34:23 pm »

You could download the better Goblin Mod in the DF modding folder. The gobbos can be impossible to kill
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 06:51:15 pm »

My favorite way at this point in time is caveins. Dig out about 4 levels entirely out from under the fort, channel around the entire fort and dig out the level right above it. It SHOULD collapse, killing every dwarf in the fort if you're lucky.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 06:57:53 pm »

You could draft every dwarf in the place into one mega squad and crush them all with one large bridge...

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 07:07:04 pm »

You'll still need one non-military dwarf to pull the lever.

The solution?

Build the lever.
Hook up the lever to infinite drawbridges.
Make it so that the lever can collapse via a support... hooked up to the same lever.
Station a dwarf on the lever.
Trap him there.
Station your dwarves under the drawbridge.
Pull Lever (R).

Alternatively, forbid all the food and lock the doors, and let your dwarves die a slow death.
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 07:09:54 pm »

Or hook up the drawbridge to a lever, pull the lever, make a lever connected to the bridge in such a way that when the bridge falls it hits the lever, move everyone to the room, pull away.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 07:25:05 pm »

Code: [Select]
        WWWWWW               W=Wall
        WBBBBW               F=Floor
        WFFFFW               D=door
       WLFFFFW               L=Lever
        WFFFFW               B=Bridge
        WDDDDW

That should satisfy the kill everything idea. Forbide the doors as soon as every one is in there. You can de-draft the dwarves at this time to pull the lever. You should expand it. (I didn't want to code it here to save time)

furrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 07:36:48 pm »

Wow, I decided to check out how a collapse works in ZDF and I gotta say I was impressed.  The best part was reading:

Unib Dako, Miner
Marble
A Dust Cloud
Open Space

...after the game paused and told me about the collapse.  Now my mightiest and most revered Dwarf has left a nice splatter on the ground four floors bellow.  I might expand on this experiment and create a fort with a self destruct lever in the future.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 12:33:26 am »

Fey Fort: Come up with a megaproject, stop all food production and devote all dwarves to it's (in)completion until everyone is dead. Mod population cap if desired to prevent immigration. Cannibalise your existing fort as desired, tho ideally it'll still be mostly recognisable. Turn your military to civilians if you want, and only conscript those who are attacked to defend themselves.

Then come back in adventure mode and explore, say, an epic, elaborate tower complex to the gods, complete with magma works, chapels, holy symbols, and sacrificial pits, etc. Well, part of it, along side a partially disassembled fort, with bodies/bones scattered about.

Hurm - maybe not leave the dwarves where they fall, but instead incorporate them into the structure. Tombs hidden in the walls and whatnot - maybe a resetting trap to drop curious adventurers into a tomb-pit.