Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seeking infant and crash  (Read 825 times)

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Seeking infant and crash
« on: August 15, 2006, 01:12:00 pm »

In my outpost game, a new group of dwarves has migrated in, one carrying an infant. One of the new dwarves is spamming "canceled drink, seeking infant" in the announcement window. The game crashed twice some time after this. I'm using version 0.21.95.19c, and here are copies of my log files http://myweb.csuchico.edu/~kjackson6/txt/errorlog.txt  http://myweb.csuchico.edu/~kjackson6/txt/gamelog.txt

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking infant and crash
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 01:20:00 pm »

btw, where is the best place to report bugs and crashes?

Also, my game crashed while it was saving, and now it crashes every time I try to load. Do I have to rebuild the entire world, or is there a way to just erase my save game?

[ August 15, 2006: Message edited by: GauHelldragon ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 03:04:00 pm »

The top-left munchy error has been happening a lot, but it hasn't been catastrophic anywhere else to my knowledge.  The mother error is similar.  I'm not sure what the crash is from, probably a bug, unless it's one of those copy-over issues.

In general, having a game crash or even manually closing the dwarf window can lead to world-wide instability.  All the files are interlinked and fiddled with quite frequently, so there's not much to do about a world slowly getting corrupted, though I could try to add more diagnostics at some point that could remove certain problems before they destroy everything.  The main thing to do now is to backup your save folder, and to replace a broken folder with the old folder when something goes wrong (delete the broken folder first -- copy overs can cause corruption).

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 03:25:00 pm »

Ok, thank you for your help. BTW I really love this game, it's so addictive  :D

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 04:24:00 pm »

This infant bug is seriously messing up the game experience...this is the third baby born in my fortress, and he had extremely bad luck to be born from an emo mother...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 04:25:00 pm »

Just wait for an unattended baby to crawl into the river...

edit:  I think I'll take another stab at this bug today

[ August 15, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 04:45:00 pm »

Instead of that i'd rather for the mother to die of hunger, but dwarves are sturdy creatures, so she wont die for a season or two...damn.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 05:36:00 pm »

Thank god that baby got out on the street and got chewed and spitted out by a passing monkey. Oh, he tried to get to safety, even entered my fortresses main gate, but it was too late.

Zake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 06:18:00 pm »

I've had the game-crash-while-saving-bug twice (out of two games so far)- I suppose theres no remedy for the "Inflate error: -3" message?

Btw, just before the crash which killed my most recent game, it had started to crash regularly a certain amount of time after loading (and I was just about to hit silver, too- dang!).  Any known problems which would be causing this?

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 06:27:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>though I could try to add more diagnostics at some point that could remove certain problems before they destroy everything. </STRONG>

Anything that would make saves more stable would be greatly appreciated. Losing just a fortress wouldn't be so bad, but losing the whole world is less fun.