Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clearing room for a Stockpile  (Read 435 times)

nessin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Clearing room for a Stockpile
« on: July 05, 2008, 09:48:35 pm »

Pretty sure I've already got the answer by sorting through past topics, but I've yet to see the question specifically addressed in this manner, so here we go:

Is it possible to designate a small area or section of stone to be cleared out so I can plot a stockpile in a room?  Or does creating a stockpile over a whole room make the whole room a stockpile regardless of stone still sitting on the floor?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Clearing room for a Stockpile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 09:50:37 pm »

As long as you have ground you can move on, you can make a stockpile there. You won't SEE whats in the stockpile thanks to the rock hiding it, but it'll be there.

Best way to clear stone so it won't mess up what you see: (k), select the stone, and press (d)ump. If you have a grbage dump designated, dwarves will haul the stones to the dump.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 09:50:58 pm »

I usually put my stockpiles in the loamy areas in a mountain fortress' second biome. 
Shoes...

nessin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 09:56:29 pm »

I usually put my stockpiles in the loamy areas in a mountain fortress' second biome. 

That's what I'd been doing, however I got tired of constantly looking at the same style fortress design (utilizing a tower-like tunnel through several z-layers, so everything was in a nice central area and a short walk).  When I started to branch out I hit areas where I only had a single layer of soil to work with and had to put large stockpiles too far away or got so frustrated trying to clear areas out that I gave up trying anything new.