Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possible bug.  (Read 628 times)

Frankomatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Possible bug.
« on: August 10, 2006, 11:09:00 pm »

I couldn't find the other topic that mentioned people running way off to the corner of the map to grab food from nowhere, but I've just experienced this myself

Got about 20 dwarves, running a bit low on food in the middle of the winter, when one of my miners runs out of the fort and starts heading for the hills. Intrigued, I followed him along... and by the time I caught up to him, he was coming back from the far northeastern corner with some cheese (I think). Interesting note is that no merchants have been killed in this game.

So he went off to the northeast and apparently pulled some cheese out of the ground. Or bought it off the deer wandering around the area.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Possible bug.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 11:10:00 pm »

It's always cheese!  (is it?)

Had there been merchants in the game that had brought cheese to your knowledge?

Has anybody had a merchant bring cheese?  Maybe instead of putting it on the mule it throws it on the ground.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Frankomatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 11:22:00 pm »

I did have a merchant bring two 'dwarven cheese' items to me, actually. I didn't buy either. Maybe the cheese just gets scattered when they leave the map instead of going with them?

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 12:10:00 am »

This happened to me, too, but I don't remember cheese being involved. I had some traders in the same game who tried to sell me cheese, but I unfortunately can't remember in which order these things happened..

I think the dwarf wandering away to "eat" happened first, before any merchants. I'm not sure though. And as I said, at least I didn't see him carrying cheese, or any other food from there. He just wandered out, cancelled the action several times because of some gorillas, eventually getting there and after that he came back.

EDIT: Oh, if there's a difference, it was Dwarven cheese the merchants had. I haven't seen non-dwarven cheese yet.

[ August 11, 2006: Message edited by: Aristharus ]

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Frankomatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 12:50:00 am »

Another interesting notes about merchants.

If a dwarf should happen to destroy your trade depot while some merchants are unloading their stuff, they'll happily leave everything they got unpacked on the ground for you and go on their merry way.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 12:52:00 am »

Of course, if the merchants record a loss in value, they won't come back so readily.  If they aren't dwarves, they might send an army next time.  It's really quite unfortunate.

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 12:59:00 am »

So if the 10 or so gorillas that like to hang around the road to my trading depot slaughter the merchants on their way to my peaceful people, they might later send an army to destroy my fortress? Well, that's... fun.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 01:13:00 am »

That's what the bodyguard is for!  And he does such a good job.

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 01:26:00 am »

Actually the last time I saw a caravan the bodyguards did save the lives of all the merchants. They fought with the beasts so the merchants could just slip by. The bodyguards (there was two of them, IIRC) all died, though.

I hope the loss of bodyguards doesn't count as loss in value. Although it doesn't matter anymore, as I ran out of food soon after that and had to abandon yet another fortress. I had already found the river and made the floodgates, mechanisms and such, but failed to flood the room for... a reason.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 01:32:00 am »

Yeah, the body guards don't count.  It actually has them tagged as a tame forest beast or something like that.