Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pumps???  (Read 779 times)

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
Pumps???
« on: July 04, 2008, 09:41:10 am »

Can pumps be made? I need something to lift water in certain areas (Dwarfs with buckets won't work).

awdball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pumps???
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 09:55:37 am »

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 11:12:11 am »

Thanks

Can i transfer power from far away IE from the top of the mountain to the bottom (sry for the questions I'm just kinda new to DF)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 11:20:03 am by ILikePie »

Glutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 11:16:15 am »

Yes. But each gear assembly will consume 5 power. And every part of the axle wll consume 1 energy. So if you want to transfer it really long way, you will need to build more windmills or water wheels.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 11:26:30 am »

Read this page.
Am I alone in the power terrifies me? The idea that you have to channel out power cables means that I've never had anything powered under ground.

Spey

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon mince.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 11:57:35 am »

Read this page.
Am I alone in the power terrifies me? The idea that you have to channel out power cables means that I've never had anything powered under ground.

if building your fortress isnt extremely terrifying and/or dangerous, it just isnt dwarflike
How many Dwarves does it take to change a XXlightbulbXX?

Glutton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 12:23:49 pm »

You can build it underground... why not? But you need to make channels between the devices (there can not be floor/ceiling between them).
So you can transfer the power 10 z-levels undergroud. But when building the space for the vertical axe... you need to chanel every square on teach level. Build long staircase... chachanel the place just next to on every z-level... and then from bottom build Z axles... and you have power underground