Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Would you consider this cheating?  (Read 2126 times)

Alaern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Would you consider this cheating?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 12:52:16 pm »

Well, although door locks are magically tied to player and player only, we can always assume that after an order has been given, a team of loiters comes in, barricades the door from outside and put a sign on it saying "do not deconstruct until you stop hearing screams and bashing sounds from the inside".

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2008, 01:42:01 pm »

I just see the dwarf flippin' out and hacking into the door, sticking his head through the hole... "Heeeeeeere's Urist!!!!!"

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2008, 04:01:06 pm »

Well, if the door seems too exploitive to you, you can always wall them in instead.

Or channel out the doorway.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2008, 04:17:11 pm »

Yep, I'd have no problem with that. :)
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 06:39:39 pm »

the exact methodology seems a bit of an exploit to me, in that logically it shouldn't work.

What are you talking about?  Just because the dwarves don't notice that all the workshops have stout wooden doors that lock from the outside, it's not your fault...
I'm talking about how dwarves can unbuild doors just fine regardless of where they are in relation to the door, which implies that door locks are mainly a matter of courtesy. And berserking dwarves shouldn't care about manners.

I've always viewed the "deconstruct from anywhere" to mean that the deconstructing dwarf goes off and gets the appropriate tools to take the door down. It's not like the game specifically tracks most tools. Which means that most dwarves when locked in and berzerking will rail at the door but be able to get out.

What would be awesome would be if dwarves carrying axes and picks would be able to take down certain doors. Wooden for both, stone for picks. Metal doors...really should depend on the metals involved. Copper pick vs Steel door? You're not going anywhere, Urist. Adamantine axe or pick? Not much is going to stop him, short of a nice thick adamantine door. The game already knows the effectiveness of metals, so it would be a simple calculation.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 09:10:48 pm »

It certainly would be awesome if the game allowed moody dwarves to be able to break out of their makeshift prison. In the meantime though, I will keep locking them behind nice solid chalk doors. :D
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Solmyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2008, 03:00:57 am »

I just see the dwarf flippin' out and hacking into the door, sticking his head through the hole... "Heeeeeeere's Urist!!!!!"

:D
The Boatmurdered Axe Massacre? :P

Frankmanic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2008, 01:36:02 am »

the exact methodology seems a bit of an exploit to me, in that logically it shouldn't work.

What are you talking about?  Just because the dwarves don't notice that all the workshops have stout wooden doors that lock from the outside, it's not your fault...
I'm talking about how dwarves can unbuild doors just fine regardless of where they are in relation to the door, which implies that door locks are mainly a matter of courtesy. And berserking dwarves shouldn't care about manners.

Clearly mad dwarves are too preoccupied with their bizzare designs to remember to bring a claw hammer and a pry bar.
Pages: 1 [2]