Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunting and Defense  (Read 765 times)

frumiousj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hunting and Defense
« on: August 15, 2006, 12:13:00 pm »

Some things I'd like to see changed about the hunting code after watching three skilled hunters die for stupid reasons:

1. Let me set the minimum amount of ammo I want my hunting marksdwarf to go outside with. I'm sick of watching him take 1 bolt out, shoot a cougar once, and then try to punch it to death, losing me a dwarf.

2. The "see a deer, walk past it, see a groundhog, walk past it, walk a few miles, turn back, kill the original deer" problem others have talked about.

3. Let me set the health level that I want him to hunt to. I'm sick of watching my hunters go outside to hunt when their last quarry beat them to a bloody pulp because the hunter tried to fight it with 2 bolts in his quiver.

and defense:

4. I understand that I can make marksdwarves with archery, but how do I make my melee recruits train? I'd like them to have some experience with their obsidian short swords before the snakemen show up.

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting and Defense
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 02:44:00 pm »

Armed melee recruits that are set to "standing down" will automatically spar (is this the right word?) in the barracks, I think.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

frumiousj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 02:53:00 pm »

Yes, that's the right word. Thanks.

Since learning that, I had some recruits spar...one of them promptly ended up with a punctured lung.

Am I supposed to make them use wooden swords for this (if so, how do I make them use wooden swords instead of their actual, deadly swords)?

If not, can the coding be changed so they know not to badly hurt eachother?

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 03:02:00 pm »

spar... i take it it'll require 2 or more soldiers?... no wonder standing down the one and only soldier that i had didn't do anything

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 03:16:00 pm »

Sparring accidents should be very rare, even for the unskilled.  There have been issues with this, but the latest tests were all good.  You were either unlucky with the lung, or there are some new issues.  They can use their regular weapons.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 03:19:00 pm »

Haha I did that too, no wonder my one lonely spearman recruit never gained any ability - oh well  :D    Maybe the lads could start out on a training dummy first, perhaps?  I seem to remember beginning swordsmen training on a wooden thing, kind of like this thing:
Kendo Training Dummy

These were usually made of wood or straw.  An option to have an experienced guy give an experience boost to a class of trainees would be pretty cool too...

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 03:23:00 pm »

Currently, if a recruit manages to train with an experienced person they'll get skill much faster.

The general combat skill is (both modes):  the amount of skill points you gain is equal to the roll of the opposition.  There should probably be a slight addition to that, but right now you don't get any skill at all for attacking somebody that is unconscious.  The same would currently apply to a dummy.  If attribute training goes in, you could train your atts that way, and should probably also get a slight skill increase.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 06:20:00 pm »

Why stop attribute training there? Cut together some rock dumbells and start pumping iron.