Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noobish Mistake  (Read 719 times)

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
Noobish Mistake
« on: July 03, 2008, 09:52:21 pm »

I was digging out a underground magma channel for my industry, and I dug into some bauxite. I didn't what it was at the time. I just thought I was a pretty red rock. So I continued to dig my channel in a large lake/reserve tank. I planned on the magma to melt everything in its path, making a nice, clean channel. I bet you can tell that the magma didn't melt the bauxite...
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Benitosimies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noobish Mistake
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 12:34:48 am »

If dwarves didn't die from lava and ensuing tantrum-punches you're not mistaking hard enough.
Something really needs to be done about ice. At the moment it's like some kind of Pitch Black threat where everyone dies at sunset. Feel free to substitute that film reference with one without Vin Diesel.
--Skizelo

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 04:57:21 am »

This is a true test of OCD. If you now turn the magma into obsidian, dig it up and retreive the bauxite to "tidy" things up, then you know you have problems. :)
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 11:01:07 am »

There are a few logs and stones sitting unaccessable in aquafer water from my attempt to breach said layer. In Dwarf Fortress terms, that doesn't qualify as a mistake - a little sloppy, mayhaps, but if it wasn't lethal, it hasn't earned the right to be called a mistake.

Killing 5 out of my Starter Seven dwarves while breaching that aquafer via the cave-in method, however? That's a mistake.

:D