Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Obsessive Compulsion, Stones, Room Dimension and Layout  (Read 2302 times)

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsessive Compulsion, Stones, Room Dimension and Layout
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 03:18:18 pm »

Am I the only one to have a gigantic stone stockpile outside my fortress? When people would be idling, I turn switch to gather minerals and let the hauling commence.

I use to do that with my older fortresses. Sometimes these stone piles could extend across an entire field.

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 03:34:46 pm »

Roleplay.  Absolutely no in-game effect whatsoever... but would you do it?

I kind of like the idea. I could imagine roleplaying having catacombs turned into a sewer system. Urist thinks the water tastes funny but does not seem to care.

Soylent Green is Dwarves!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 05:18:26 am »

I'm just starting on a big grave network, starting with the pauper's graves, just stuck en masse into a hollow in the mountain.
The slightly better graves are niches in the walls of my catacombs.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

nofsky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 06:31:22 am »

I'm not that OC but I do like my fortress tidy and uniform if only because it makes it more effective. If I make a mistake in building my fort, for example making one room a square too wide, I can usually ignore it. But it was much easier to do so when you couldn't rewall... :P

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 04:28:05 pm »

Actually.. yes. "Butchering kittens," bad thought of "has witnessed death", "Throwing milkers into a volcanoes,"has witnessed death," and possibly "has lost a <close one> recently" a close one being a friend, spouse, parent, child or sibling. Gouging eyes? no... killing traders, "witnessed death".

that's about it I think... Unless of course they have "Doesn't really care about anything anymore" in which case they won't be bothered by witnessing death.

You're doing it wrong.

Gouge their eyes first.  Then see how many "have witnessed death" thoughts you get.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 11:16:49 am »

I once had a well that flooded my bedrooms and two dwarves were trapped by the water...I decided to give them a quick death instead of starvation, and let them out into the tunnel. They promptly drowned of course. And then my dwarves started giving me the message "Urist McThirstydwarf cancels drink at well: water source contaminated" or something to that effect. I frantically started building a new well but long before I finished, the contamination effect apparently went away (I think it's once their bodies decayed into skeletons)
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 05:39:46 pm »

Seriously? That is awesome. I'm thinking about how you'd create the most horrible living environment for your dwarves. You'd have to stick one dwarf planter in his own separate area so he can create food constantly and just live fat, happy, and alone. This way, you can lose everyone else and still play until the next immigration wave. He would live one z-level above the main area.

Someone said zombies give off puffs of miasma occasionally. My idea would be to have the dwarves living one level above a catacombs, tossing in animals to act as zombie bait to lure them in. Once I had some 50 zombies moaning around down there, creating tons of miasma and spamming job cancellations, I would trade away goods in exchange for lots of animals to throw down. I'd have rotting animal corpses billowing miasma up all the time. We'd throw slain goblin corpses down into the pits too.

The single planter dwarf, hoarding a metric assload of food, would begin making prepared meals. He would throw down these meals as soon as they were made, and the dwarves below would be treated to further blasts of miasma. Hatches in the planter's floor would prevent miasma from seeping up.

They'd eventually all just not care about anything anymore. But would they have a nice dining room to adore? Nope!

And now I can add a tainted well full of murky water to the mix! You want a drink Urist, take a drink of rotting bloodwater!

I assume I'd have occasional population crashes due to tantrum spirals. So these dwarves would work only jobs that improved toughness.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 [2]