Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salt Plaines.  (Read 765 times)

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Salt Plaines.
« on: July 02, 2008, 03:09:56 pm »

There's been a suggestion (a while ago) that salt be implemented as a resource to be used in cooking or to add to meat to make sure they never rot or... any of the other uses salt has. This suggestion focused on rock salt, which is fair enough for dwarves.
I'm suggesting that when brine evaporates, it doesn't muddy the floor for farming like it does at the moment but leaves salt which should be treated like sand (or, if evaporates over soil or fresh-water mud, make it useless for farming), and can be gathered and then used for whatever.
This needs salt-water to be refined, and would some way to clean up poisoned lands, and, obviously, a use for salt.

Also, if salt's put in, rock salt boulders should be able to be ground at a mill or the sand-making stone if that makes the cut.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Salt Plaines.
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 12:35:08 pm »

I like this. You could have seashore fortresses with huge evaporation basins that get filled to 1/7 by careful use of floodgates, and when they evaporate the salt left behind is collected as a dust. You could use the dust as a cooking ingredient, but it's not an edible food item on its own. But as a trade good it would be worth something, you know? That would be pretty cool.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Salt Plaines.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 12:59:35 pm »

I like this. You could have seashore fortresses with huge evaporation basins that get filled to 1/7 by careful use of floodgates, and when they evaporate the salt left behind is collected as a dust. You could use the dust as a cooking ingredient, but it's not an edible food item on its own. But as a trade good it would be worth something, you know? That would be pretty cool.

If you wanted to get real fancy, salt could make your dwarves care less about that XmeatX, or even better, meals prepared with salt could last longer.  Or even make a jerky option that doesn't rot.