Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Generating worlds is fun for no particular reason.  (Read 1996 times)

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Generating worlds is fun for no particular reason.
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2008, 06:17:06 pm »

I have to admit I thought this was a strange way for one to get one's kicks. Trolling around at the Embark screen has a rather unattractively small 'world' map and a far too narrow view on the region map.

But when I messed around and figured out how to export the map data and viewed the picture that generates, I was enthralled. Zooming in and out at will really helps me get into it, but perhaps I'm just some kind of freakish cartographile. I went ahead and made a new world, and was quite impressed to see a huge haunted sea and some very handsome mountain ranges, apparently complete with a number of handsome alpine mountain ranges as well. (My first world had a fair dominance of temperate to tropical and scorching climates with a few scattered glaciers and such to the south, and no overly cool mountainous area).

It takes every ounce of my willpower not to generate enough worlds to be statistically likely to get a repeat (or die trying).

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 08:48:20 am »

I have to admit I thought this was a strange way for one to get one's kicks. Trolling around at the Embark screen has a rather unattractively small 'world' map and a far too narrow view on the region map.

But when I messed around and figured out how to export the map data and viewed the picture that generates, I was enthralled. Zooming in and out at will really helps me get into it, but perhaps I'm just some kind of freakish cartographile. I went ahead and made a new world, and was quite impressed to see a huge haunted sea and some very handsome mountain ranges, apparently complete with a number of handsome alpine mountain ranges as well. (My first world had a fair dominance of temperate to tropical and scorching climates with a few scattered glaciers and such to the south, and no overly cool mountainous area).

It takes every ounce of my willpower not to generate enough worlds to be statistically likely to get a repeat (or die trying).

I haven't even thought of that, i also feel like some sort of cartographile but i'm horrible when it comes to geography.

Islands gonna be so much fun. One thing i would also like to see is some mountain features (like a chasm) on tiles besides mountains because those areas are sometimes very interesting because they border different kinds of landfeatures. (a lake with a beach with a forrest with a cliff with a broke with a river for example, sadly, apart from maybe finding magma, there isn't much else)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 08:50:47 am by Doppel »
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 10:10:04 am »

I'm particularly loooking forward to the inverse way coasts are handled (water cutting INTO neighbouring tiles instead of land encroaching upon seatiles) It should make some sort of lowland/landreclaiming scenario possible. :D

My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Brdn666

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerlord
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 12:16:48 pm »

I kinda would like to see river floods. It could be optional in the init like weather and cave-ins and such. It would be like real rivers. The Egyptians lived next to the Nile and it flooded. It would offer a new challenge.
The only thing that's not afraid of a dragon is a marksdwarf.
Or maybe a mechanic, if given enough time to prepare.

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 01:57:03 pm »

Can I shamelessly beg for some of these?  The one with all the dragons sounds like fun!
Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah-nagl ftaghn
Pages: 1 [2]