Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Tombquills: A Grand Experiment in Equality (Community)  (Read 5306 times)

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tombquills: A Grand Experiment in Equality (Community)
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2008, 10:13:40 am »

(A large section of Magua's journal is missing; it looks like the pages were ripped or torn out.  The pages continue some months after the last legible entry.)

26th Moonstone: Construction on our projects continues apace, but it's even more important now; there's been a rash of goblins sneaking near our fort, trying to steal my daughter, who I've decided to call 'Rainbow'.  None of them have been successful, but the frequency is very worrying.

This doesn't stop Martian from deciding to organize a party in the house, nor does it stop me from attending with Rainbow.

1st Hematite: HOLY ARMOK!  Our buildings are falling down around us!  So far, a butcher's workshop, tanner's workshop, fishery, kitchen, and two craftdwarf's workshops have collapsed!  Luckily, no one is hurt, but we are all worried...

5th Hematite: The collapsing continues!  Accusations fly: was it shoddy engineering?  Did the wood warp and go bad?  We don't know, but all of our outdoor workshops by the river are gone.  I worry for what might happen if the house were to collapse, with some of us sleeping inside.

8th Hematite: The mystery of the collapsing buildings was solved.  Inaluct got a report that one of the wooden coffins we used to house the remains of the drowned dwarves was destroyed.  This was very worrying, as the coffins are stored safely underground.  We grabbed weapons and armor and ran as fast as we could, and found our answer: hobgoblin snatcher.  It had snuck into our fortress, and destroyed buildings it came across looking for little Rainbow.

17th Hematite: Goblin ambush!  That's "goblin" as in singular.  It fired off some arrows from its bow, and ran away.  Hardly even qualifies.

10th Limestone: Merchants arrived, and hadn't even made it to the Depot before being ambushed by three different sets of goblins.  The merchant guards made short work of them before most of us could respond.

23rd Limestone: Our moat is complete.  Now the only way to get in or out of our fortress is the bridge that the merchants use.  Work is being done to wall that area off from the rest of our fortress, so that the only way to enter will be to go through the Depot proper.

And our security prospects are looking up, as it seems that one of the merchants gifted to us a cave bear.  And that better yet, the cave bear was pregnant.  Now we have cave bear cubs. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

15th Felsite: Our new Depot complex is almost complete!  Instead of drab rock, it shows our cultural superiority by being entirely crafted out of glass!  The only area left undone is the one containing the berserk and insane merchants.  Oh, and taking a quick count, apparently 57 yak and some other number of muskox.  They've been breeding in there for years.  I'm surprised that there's room to move.

8th Hematite: More merchants arrived.  We released the berserk wizard merchants, fetched our popcorn, and...nothing.  The merchant wizards peacefully and quite non-berserkally made their way to the exit.  There was a bit of a gridlock -- the wagons apparently can't pass eachother -- but it resolved itself after awhile.  We were quite disappointed, but quickly fell to replacing the last bit of the Depot with green glass.

15th Hematite: There are *six* cave bears sleeping in the house.  On the one hand, I like the protection.  On the other, the *smell*...

That's not to mention the wolf.

23rd Hematite: Flint was ambushed today by hobgoblins!  Luckily, they were across the moat from him, but four or five of them had bows.  We all stare as Flint stands and watches the hobgoblins as arrows rain around him, before eventually deciding that maybe he should move out of range. 

As normal, we all go to suit up and grab our own crossbows.  We set up a firing line and let fly with our bolts as they let fly with their arrows.  There are so many projectiles flying around that they blot out the sun; we fight in the shade.  The firing went on for quite some time -- apparently, neither we nor they seem to be well practiced with ranged combat.

In the end, Ratepe was the only one who managed to kill a hobgoblin before they ran.  They killed a war dog of ours, but other than that, we suffered no injury.  However, Flint, Karl Marx, and Ivanna now all seem to be much more practiced with the crossbows, so future battles should go easier.

28th Hematite: One of the Avar from a caravan has been hovering over the Depot for...months, if not years.  Wonder what it's doing?

7th Malachite: Not all of the merchant's animals have left -- apparently, all the children, grandchildren, etc of the yaks and muskoxen have stuck around.  A lot of butchering is going on.  There will be meat tonight!

14th Malachite: Dwarves spotted!  However, they're stopped by the moat, so we can take our time in getting our preparations together.  These ones won't rob us of our hard earned food and drink!

We finally build a bridge across the moat for them, and direct them to the gulag.  They make protestations about how they're fleeing the violence of the Mountainhome, and they were friendly with our aims.  We considered this, but one must stick to one's morals -- the only one who was spared the gulag was Shoruke, who wore the colors of the peasant.  This brings our numbers up to 13, 2 of whom are children. 

Meanwhile, 6 prisoners reside in our gulag.  They have water to drink, and the floor is muddy so they can plant seeds from the plump helmets we threw down to them.  They all seem desperately unhappy, but they should realize what they have is luxury compared to what we started with.

There's been division in the commune lately, especially over the prisoners.  Legolord has stated that while the prisoners are here, we may as well have them do some useful work, like stonecrafting.  Karl Marx says that that would be exploitation of the working class, the kind that we are opposed to.  Those two do not seem to like eachother at all. 

Here's a log of what we're working on:

(OOC:

1) Hobgoblin snatchers are *evil*.  Invisible creatures that can destroy buildings?  This really had me freaked out for awhile, until I saw the coffin destroyed and mobilized the military.

2) After the wizard merchants and most of their pets left, my FPS doubled from 30 to 60.

3) Getting the prisoners into the gulag was much more frustrating than it should've been.  For some reason, every bridge they were on when the lever was pulled wouldn't retract.  At first, I thought it was just that those bridges hadn't been hooked up to the lever, but as I moved them around, I saw it was any bridge with a dwarf on it.  Not sure why -- maybe because the bridges are only 1 z-level above the ground?  In the end, I made one of the miner migrants dig a staircase down into the gulag, and then remove it.)
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2008, 10:23:31 am »

Try flinging them in with a 3x10 drawbridge.  It's more dwarfy.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2008, 10:49:14 am »

Yes!  Onward with the Revolution!  Put those idle ex-aristocrats to work for The People!
Huzzah!
Fefeshnelmargalip

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2008, 10:52:17 am »

Yay, I have a hippy dwarf.  Remember, rainbow can never be in the military.  She needs to be like, throwing flowers at the goblins instead or something cause then they'll like, see that we like are all about love.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2008, 05:55:47 pm »

Yay, I have a hippy dwarf.  Remember, rainbow can never be in the military.  She needs to be like, throwing flowers at the goblins instead or something cause then they'll like, see that we like are all about love.
This is Dwarf Fortress.  A thrown serving of water can pierce a guy in the heart and brain.

So this hippy of yours sounds violent.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2008, 10:11:46 pm »

Really it's gurrilla warfare.  She looks all innocent and then *wham*!  Spinning flowers to the eyes, nose and throat!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2008, 07:53:07 am »

Can I have a dwarf?
Call him Bjorn. Doesn't really matter what he does, but he thinks he's a viking and talks in a strong scandinavian accent. Of all the people to end up in a communist fortress, a fiercely independant viking is probably the worst. He does like pillaging though.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2008, 07:27:52 pm »

17th Limestone, 207:  Goblin ambush!  They're getting serious.  There were 3...no, make that 4 *squads* of the greenskins!  But...they were on the other side of the channel, and there don't seem to be any bow goblins amongst them.

The Avar merchants who have been hanging around forever fly over and slaughter them, though.  Result: Goblin chunks fly everywhere.

1st Sandstone: The prisoners in the gulag do not seem to have any food.  What happened to the plump helmets we threw down to them to get seeds from?  Wastrels.  Well, we should probably throw down some more plump helmets, but at the moment, we're all too busy partying to care. 

10th Sandstone: We had some plan to seize the contents of the four caravans in our depot, but what with the parties and all, we were all too busy to deal with the merchants before they left.  Oops. 

18th Sandstone: Someone finally threw two plump helmets down to the prisoners.  Can they plant the seeds fast enough to grow enough food to survive?  If we cared for material things, we would take bets.  All they do when we throw down food is complain at us.  Ungrateful.

26th Sandstone: We just dumped more plump helmets to the prisoners, when we found out that there had been dwarves waiting on the other side of the channel for over two weeks!  We must have been too busy with our partying to notice.  We prepare weapons, but this group is actually led by comrades of ours from the Mountainhomes!  A bridge is quickly constructed to welcome our new brethren into Tombquills, and to take the prisoners they brought down to the gulag.

We now have three new comrades: Kilbom, Bjorn, and a third one who hasn't yet given us her name.

In addition, there are two new children, which in addition to my daughters, brings us up to 4 children.  The children aren't contaminated by their parent's material greed, so we are happy to welcome them into Tombquills.  Population stands at:

Comrades: 14
Children: 4
Prisoners: 12

14th Moonstone: FINALLY got the new prisoners into the gulag.   Again, the new bridges failed us just like the old.  We are now resorting to a simple doors and airlock scheme to lock new prisoners in. 

Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2008, 01:24:06 am »

It's odd, you showed my preferences page but I can't seem to find myself on the job list or units page...  ???
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2008, 04:21:25 pm »

The first job list screenshot was taken before you arrived, even though I presented it out of order.  Sorry.  And for the units list, you were still a peasant, with no skills above dabbling, so you show at the end of the list.  I'll provide a stats update soon...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]