Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: FPS Independent Gameplay  (Read 2171 times)

Baneslave

• Bay Watcher
  • Claymore Thrower Dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: FPS Independent Gameplay
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 02:24:58 am »

When it's blatantly obvious there's no need for smileys

When you are dealing with non-native English speakers, you should.

This is badly off topic, though, so lets leave this issue without other words.
[BUTCHERABLE_SIGNATURE]

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 02:37:26 am »

It's not a case of making tasks take fewer ticks, but more a case of introducing 'frame-skip'.

Except that frame skip doesn't work for algorithmically generated game play.  If it takes 10ms to run A* it takes 10ms to run A*.  You can't just "skip" it.  Same thing for water, water has an algorithm.

All frame skipping would do is skip the "wait" commands such that instead of running A* for each dwarf every 100 ticks it runs it every 50.  Which means it's doing twice as much work.

Wait.  Weren't we trying to reduce CPU load?

THOSE WAITS ARE IN THERE FOR A REASON.  It means DF can use the time running other subsets of algorithms so that everything can run at a different time, yet synch up in real time.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 03:51:40 am »

It's not a case of making tasks take fewer ticks, but more a case of introducing 'frame-skip'.

Which doesn't work, because DF displays frames as fast as it can do the underlying calculations. The game can't "skip" the next frame and go to the one after that because it doesn't know what's going to happen two frames from now. It has to simulate game time up to the first frame, and then the second. Displaying the frame on the screen is trivial.

Makrond

• Bay Watcher
  • Like fuzzy dice, only more slicey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2008, 05:25:29 am »

I meant tick-skip. Literally, do algorithms less often.

It's why there were quotation marks around it. A bit hard to understand, I know. It's why I prefer face-to-face communication over forums, but there you go.
Quote from: Jusal
Darwinism? Bah! This is Dwarvinism!

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2008, 11:44:18 am »

Afaik DF already does not run all algorithm every update.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..
Pages: 1 [2]