Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 'd' menu default doesn't always make sense  (Read 1535 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
'd' menu default doesn't always make sense
« on: June 25, 2008, 03:10:36 pm »

A quick search hasn't turned this up, so if it's already been posted, my apologies.  The two defaults in the 'd' menu are 'chop down trees' ('t') and 'mine' ('d').  For the most part these defaults are correct, where 't' is selected when above-ground and 'd' is selected when below-ground.  However, occasionally pressing 'd' below-ground will bring up the default 't' option, when it should be the default 'd' option.  Probably an easy little thing to fix, and certainly not game-destroying, but I just thought I'd mention it.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 'd' menu default doesn't always make sense
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 08:54:38 am »

I've had this too, but only when going to the bottom level in one of the corners to designate the whole level for digging, in preparation for using reveal.  I'll go to the bottom, scroll to a corner (usually the top left, if I remember correctly), and then hit (d).  Chop down trees is often selected, even though everything on the screen is subterranean.  Maybe this info can help to reproduce the error.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 10:24:30 am »

I'll get it anywhere below ground, though as I said, it doesn't happen very often.  After a few more tests, it seems I usually get it when I'm within five levels of an above-ground layer, and there's a region where it gives the 't' instead of 'd'.  I don't see any consistency otherwise.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 10:51:19 am »

Mayhap unallocated space? Run reveal without any preemptive designating to see allocated space, and see if the bahavior corresponds to that...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Abyss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 12:46:39 pm »

I, too, run into the problem. I'm designating places to mine, and it defaults to cutting down trees sometimes, but I've only noticed it on maps where I've cut down trees. Could it choose the default based upon how many tiles have been selected? If so, that could explain it because, even though I mine quite a bit, I also designate huge swaths of land for the tree destruction which might be even larger.

It's a minor annoyance and I just double tap 'd' anyways so I mostly don't notice it.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 01:39:01 pm »

I get this even on maps that don't have any trees. I suspect it has something to do with where the cursor starts when you start designating, since e.g. if the cursor starts in the middle of my magma vent, then I'll probably be set to chop down trees. It's just that the logic is a bit buggy.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 08:53:33 pm »

If somebody's got a save where the view is set up so that pressing 'd' leads to the bug, I should be able to fix it fairly quickly.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 11:09:46 pm »

Ok, I've posted the save on the DFFD, here's the link:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=257
I've set it up so that all you have to do is hit 'd' once you open the save, and the default should be trees (incorrect default), instead of mining (correct default).
I've also included the objects folder, so that mods won't be a problem. 

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 08:38:24 pm »

Okay, I've downloaded it and I'll take a look at some point.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!