Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf has "No job" for over 300 steps  (Read 2064 times)

Enigma_Nova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf has "No job" for over 300 steps
« on: July 03, 2008, 04:33:41 am »

Dwarf with relevant labor enabled, and task queued only for this dwarf (using workshop manager), with the relevant materials, has "No job" for over 300 steps after undrafting before realising he has a job.
Repeatedly drafting and undrafting does not fix this. Pausing and waiting (after undrafting) does not fix this.

Possible workaround fix: Have a way for the player to manually refresh the job queue, or have it auto-refresh on pause, rather than waiting for x steps.

Here's a save: http://rapidshare.com/files/126753679/region1.rar.html

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf has "No job" for over 300 steps
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 08:32:36 am »

I havnt looked at the file but before toady one looks at it Id like to ask you if your manager has authorised the work order since your using the manager interface.

Beyound pop 25 a manager has requirements via the nobles screen. If these arent met he wont authorise a job and it wont start placing work.

Enigma_Nova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 10:17:11 am »

Quote from: Cryten
I havnt looked at the file
I know lol

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 10:47:45 am »

I've had similar problems happen repeatedly for glassmakers across different fortresses - I'll have Collect Sand and Make Green Glass Terrarium on repeat in the same shop, and the glassmaker will frequently have "No Job" listed for quite a while before realizing that he can go make another terrarium.

What job was your dwarf supposed to be doing?
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 01:31:48 pm »

With the gather sand and built terrarium thing, the gather sand job can be done by any dwarf, so likely some random peasant is doing it, while the glassmaker heads up to his bedroom.  Once the sand is gathered, the peasant leaves the bag out at the sand pit, and the glassmaker runs out to get it.  This way, the dwarves can squeeze two round trips into the space of one, helping improve the inefficiency of the fort to new levels.
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 03:52:13 pm »

With the gather sand and built terrarium thing, the gather sand job can be done by any dwarf, so likely some random peasant is doing it, while the glassmaker heads up to his bedroom.  Once the sand is gathered, the peasant leaves the bag out at the sand pit, and the glassmaker runs out to get it.  This way, the dwarves can squeeze two round trips into the space of one, helping improve the inefficiency of the fort to new levels.
That'd be a reasonable explanation if I didn't still have only seven dwarves, and at any time have:

2 mining
1 doing masonry
1 farming/brewing
2 on break
1 glassmaker

Moreover, the workshop profile is set to only let the glassmaker work at it.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Enigma_Nova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 09:15:49 pm »

My dwarf was supposed to be pulling a lever, on precise timing, so as to kill 2 caravan guards, but not their merchants. I've since fixed that problem by walling off the lever, and adding a door. I draft and stuff a dwarf in the lever closet, then lock him in.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 02:10:25 pm »

Also, I've heard a rumor that dwarves don't find tasks, tasks find dwarves.

That is, that releasing a dwarf from the military doesn't make him look for a job, he'll have to wait for the next time the 'jobs queue' rolls around to tag him for something.

Not 100% sure about it, but hey

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 02:37:34 pm »

Also, I've heard a rumor that dwarves don't find tasks, tasks find dwarves.

In real life, you find a job. In DWAAARF FORTRESS, a job finds YOU!
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 11:30:43 pm »

I'd like to see that changed, really. I remember Toady listing off the reasons that he's doing it the way he is, but it just seems so... unnecessary. Making the dwarves find the jobs would help with so many issues, including this one.

Calessa Lynn Orphiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 08:58:02 pm »

I believe at current, the issue boils down to needing a complete task re-write to accomplish, and that is not only a fairly large undertaking, but likely to break other things.

Now, personally, I think Toady should work on this one sooner rather than later, but I'm not his boss.  *shrug*

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 01:23:30 am »

I agree. This is something that needs to be addressed, before the game becomes too complex to implement it. Not to say that it won't be difficult, but it will be more difficult later and it really has to be done. Kind of like the Z-axis, but less complex.

Royal Surveyor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 12:01:10 am »

EDIT:  Nevermind the following--they finally dumped their backpacks and went back to work.

----

I'm having a "No Job" problem.  I undrafted a couple dwarves and they now just mope around. 

I am using v0.27.176.38c

When this started:
I undrafted a gang of miners and woodcutters from the military while these two were sparring.  Both were unarmed at the time of undraft.  Both continued to spar as civilians; I imagine to completion of task.

What I have noted for both dwarves:
-They have a pick in hand with plenty of mining to do around them and have the proper labor activated.
-Both will change to an axe but not do any wood cutting, even with ample and nearby trees designated for cutting.
-Both are also carrying two leather backpacks.  One on their body and one in hand.

What I have tried:
-Drafting and undrafting doesn't work.
-I tried drafting and giving them both weapons and shields, which was accomplished successfully.  However, the backpack is still there in the hand.

What I have not tried and seems obvious to me:
I have not left them drafted until sparring.

Any suggestions?  Have others noted something akin to this in previous "No Job" problems?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 12:25:49 am by Royal Surveyor »