Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Give garbage dumps the standard stockpile option screen  (Read 993 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Give garbage dumps the standard stockpile option screen
« on: June 29, 2008, 05:22:46 am »

Î dont  know if this has been mentioned yet, or if it is NOT in game on purpose, but theres something thats bothering me. thinking about it, its probably an old idea. Anyways, here goes:

If you want to dump certain stuff (and if you dont want to trade thats a LOT of stuff) you have to designate it manually. to counter this, people build "sorting rooms", with stockpiles that hold unwanted item (for instance unusable armor that is not made of any metal), from where stuff gets dumped.

or if you are into automatization, like i am, you try to wash that stuff into an atomsmashing bridge setup, which works, with proper danger to the dwarves.

While it would take away a lot of thinkwork that springs from the problem, there would be an easy, and also logical solution: you should be able to define a garbage dump like a stockpile, so you have control over what gets dumped automatically.

imho that would be the proper design choice, and even if it eliminated the need to build a working garbage disposal system it opens the possibility for a lot of different designs i guess. at least if you could have the option of dumped items not being forbidden.

im not sure if i worded that correctly and everything, i hope you guys understand what i mean.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Give garbage dumps the standard stockpile option screen
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 05:43:14 am »

I support this.
Might also make quantum-stockpiling easier.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 05:53:48 am »

Might also make quantum-stockpiling easier.

Thinking of it, that's maybe the reason why we don't have it ingame... it would more or less negate the need for storage room, ESPECIALLY if we get the option of items NOT being forbidden after a dumpage that has been induced that way.

and i figure managing storage space IS part of the game, but surely there has to be an unexploitable way...

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 06:10:39 am »

It is the fix of the too large space needed for items stockpiling.
Well, a cheat-fix made of bug?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 08:30:29 am »

I'd like to see this in the game.
I want my dwarves to have proper metal dumping area for goblin metal junk to be melted, silk dumping area for goblin silk clothes to be traded and stone dumping area near my catapults for siege operators.
I can think of much more ways of usage of the specialized dumping zones.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 10:27:26 am »

Dumping is supposed to be used for items that you do not want any more. As you don't care what happens to them, there's no point in making dwarves dump items in different locations depending on type.

Quantum stockpiling is a cheat that some people use because they think that some other aspect of the game (say, dealing with stone) is broken. The proper fix is to fix whatever is causing people to want to use quantum stockpiles, not to make quantum stockpiles even better.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 04:52:32 pm »

Indeed, with this and the mass-dump option there'd be literally *no* use for stockpiles besides food.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 06:31:32 pm »

Even then you'd quantum stockpile the food.