Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [38c] Cave river dwellers fit through fortification  (Read 1931 times)

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[38c] Cave river dwellers fit through fortification
« on: March 12, 2008, 07:49:00 pm »

I'm not sure if it is a bug or not, but it's the first time that i've noticed forg- and snakeman on the wrong side of a fortification. I've always used fortifications to fend off cave river creatures, and it has worked so far, but not this time.
Maybe it has to to with how i've uncovered the cave river. I didn't really uncover it, just dug tile for tile until i saw a damp stone, smoothed it, carved a fortification in it. No message popped up about a cave river, and it's still black on the other side of the fortification.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: [38c] Cave river dwellers fit through fortification
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 08:10:00 pm »

I'm not sure how the snakeman would be able to get through, and it should probably reveal what's beyond a wall when you carve a fortification.  I'll note down both issues.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 02:11:00 pm »

I has the same problem with river dwellers passing through a grate. I had forgotten about it until just now.

My suspicion is that somehow, the water pressure overrides the impassable nature of the tile.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 03:36:00 pm »

Hmm, with a grate, I suppose you have uncovered the river. So this is maybe not the problem. It can't be water pression, though, as I've seen the same with fortifications built on the "empty" z-level, that means, on the surface of the water...
I could try to get a save, but I guess it doesn't help a lot?
99 barrels of beer!

nunix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 04:31:00 pm »

Someone mentioned this with fire imps in magma as well.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 04:49:00 pm »

I have now uncovered the river by normally mining into the side, and had a fortification built a bit behind in the channel. Even my miner passed through it, when the water came. Snake- and Frogmen have no problem passing over a fortification tile.
99 barrels of beer!

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 04:26:01 pm »

I also have this bug, in 38c.

In my case, I mined into a cave river from below using a ramp. I got the alert that I found a cave river, and the area beyond was mapped out. The rush of water almost killed my expendable miner, though he was literally two ticks away from getting past the floodgates. He ended up mining a few staircases upward while in 4/7 water and escaped.

Anyway, I soon realized that I had mined up right into the bottom of the waterfall, so the water pressure must have been intense. The water fell one z-level into my aqueduct, then through constructed fortifications, then flowed up one z-level into my well. Luckily I had built it 3 levels below the constructed well. This did not trigger the u-bend water bug, somehow.

Soon the aqueduct was full of river creatures who apparently had been pushed down by the water. Lizardmen were hanging out in the aqueduct tunnel near the bottom of my well, which was past the fortifications. So I had to floor over the access stairway I used to dig the well shaft.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 08:56:51 pm »

This did not trigger the u-bend water bug, somehow.
He fixed the u-bend water bug in either 38b or 38c. No more easy infinite water for us ...