Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reveal and Fun Stuff (Spoilers)  (Read 2162 times)

DarkMagnus

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a comfort sash, ok?
    • View Profile
Reveal and Fun Stuff (Spoilers)
« on: June 18, 2008, 05:37:57 pm »

I started a game solely to see how tough the demons are.

I used reveal.exe to find the demon pits, dug into them and then made spike traps outside them. Now I'm about to wait for my doom.

But by revealing all the tiles, have I destroyed my chances of getting an actual demon raid? Next time I'm just make a record of where the pits are and start over.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Reveal and Fun Stuff (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 05:43:58 pm »

Yep, it fizzles the assault.  You also nulled all the cool stuff that pops up inside the pits, like spikes and cages and gibbering elves and slime.

All that's generated when you breach the pits, which is what gets mucked up when using reveal.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 05:52:44 pm »

Also, demons ignore traps. And they break the dwarven atom smasher if you try to use it.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 05:52:56 pm »

Your best bet is to save the game, reveal and note where the pits are, then exit without saving.  That way you can dig down there later

I hope you have fun

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 05:54:01 pm »

Bridges don't work, but if you collapse actual stone blocks (ie solid native rock) then you can crush them flat with ease.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

DarkMagnus

• Bay Watcher
  • It's a comfort sash, ok?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 05:58:47 pm »

I'm using Spike traps, which affect kobolds and demons (and dwarves, unfortunately).

Thanks for the tips. I just wanted to see how much 'fun' I'd have with 7 Marksdwarves vs. the demon assault.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 06:01:18 pm »

Well there are many creative ways to deal with demons, such as cave collapses and encasing them in obsidian, but I think the OP wanted more direct contact with them than that.

A long line of spike traps might work if you hook them up to a lever and have a dwarf constantly pulling it (you might have actually meant this in your original post - I can't tell)

The difficulty of demons is also greatly dependant on what type they are.  I would love to hear what happens if you open up a chamber full of spirits of fire  ::)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 06:02:52 pm by Christes »

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 06:18:38 pm »

I have had a first-hand experience with a Tentacle Demon pit, complete with a Spirit-o-Fire.

I accidentally drilled a up/down stairway right into their pit, which unleashed a swarm of 40 refugees (This pit didn't have any cages, which lagged my fortress to the Pits and back as they rushed to get to the surface) and 30 tentacle demons... plus a spirit of fire.

I ended up losing my entire fortress of 70 guys. Plus a reclaim group of 70 guys.

The tentacle demons were worse for me. I hate using military (I trap-spam.), so all the dwarves in the fortress became wrestlers. With two arms. Tentacle demons have 8. Even with four guys on one tentacle demon they only managed to wound one of its arms.

Then the other 29 showed up, and casually wrecked my fortress in the glory of 1fps. The spirit of fire took it upon himself to burn several marksdwarves and hammerdwarves that had started pounding on a single tentacle demon.

When the reclaim came, the spirit of fire decided to show up on top of the wagon. Thankfully this was after I had moved my guys back into the fort. More marksdwarves managed to shoot it out of the sky. It must have taken at least a dozen arrows, and taken out three guys, before dying.

However, it was funny because some of the tentacle demons fell into my magma pit I was using for a forge. As did some refugees :D

Anyways I'm on a new map now (Which nearly lost all of its guys to a goblin ambush-spam (Four groups of ambushes, including goblin-archers) in the middle of a giant engineering project... lost all the miners and masons including the mayor.) and there were 30 frog demons and a regular demon inside the pit. I ended up having to kill them all with Tweak because their pathfinding (combined with a 20z level natural cliff) were lagging me severely.

In short: Tentacle demons melt but can wrestle with the best of them. Spirits of fire fly and are therefore very dangerous. Refugees from the underworld are laggy.

I wonder what determines the demons you get >.>
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

Quift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 06:50:45 am »

My only experience with the pits so far was a tentacle demon pit such as yours. I had however taken the precaution to dig down into the pits from a separate mining field, outside my ordinary fort, which meant that the demons had to attack through my regular entrance.

12 Champion marksdwarves raining decent quality copper bolts on them made sure they were mince meat in no time. Sword champions in adamantine took care of the rest.

On regular demon however managed to fly up on top of my elevated windmill, breake it and fly down the powergrid into the kitchen/food area. He wreaked quite some havoc on the fortress since all the military dwarves were on the other side fighting with the tentacle demons. finally managed to get a big enough squad there to cut it two pieces.

Almost 50 % of my engravings after that pictured tentcle demons.

Stellar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 07:06:05 pm »

What is this reveal.exe? I hope it isn't same as regional prospector i'm using  ???

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 07:29:20 pm »

Naw, reveal is in Tweak, and it reveals (creative name, isn't it) all tiles underground.  In other words, all that black stuff...you can see what it is. 

You use it while you are playing your actual fort, where as regional prospector you use beforehand.

Just wanted to say I love HFS!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 08:39:58 pm by Frelock »
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 08:08:50 pm »

This is gonna be a rather newbish question...  But what does "HFS" stand for...?

Tayrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 08:16:08 pm »

This is gonna be a rather newbish question...  But what does "HFS" stand for...?

HFS stands for this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 08:29:06 pm »

BAHHH!  That makes so much sense now!

I couldn't figure it out because it was mentioned in so many different types of topics. >.<

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 09:34:27 pm »

It used to just mean the little easter eggs that Toady loves putting into DF, but the meaning has since shifted over to mean TWKY (That Which Kills You).  In other words: Demons and Giant Cave Spider webs.