Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recruit won't pick up weapon / crawling traders  (Read 612 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Recruit won't pick up weapon / crawling traders
« on: June 21, 2008, 12:06:05 pm »

I had a goblin incursion show up right after I finished trading with the elves. I drafted a couple of dwarves and prepped my defenses...except that one of the dwarves ignored my orders to pick up an axe and just went to his station with nothing but a shield. I tried switching him to unarmed and back to axe; no dice. There's an axe available just a few steps away from where he is (in the corridor with all the cage traps, where a goblin from last season's siege dropped it), and it's not forbidden or marked for melting, but he refuses to pick it up. I believe the problem is that there's a job to move the axe into a weapons stockpile, which causes him to not want to grab it. IMO this is a bug; equipping soldiers with weapons should trump putting those weapons into stockpiles. Because of this bug, I lost one of my seven dwarves to trying to wrestle armed goblins to death.

My second report is that the elves are behaving oddly. They spotted some of the goblins through the skylight above the depot, and started crawling away into the depths of my fortress. I mean literally crawling; they have the light-brown background that's used to indicate a creature is lying down.

I've uploaded the save here if you want to take a look.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Recruit won't pick up weapon / crawling traders
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 01:28:04 pm »

Was the axe stored in a container marked forbidden?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 01:32:46 pm »

Was the axe stored in a container marked forbidden?

I believe he said it wasn't stored at all.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 01:35:57 pm »

I can confirm that it was the move-to-stockpile job that blocked the axe from being picked up; removing the stockpile allowed him to arm himself. So I've rolled back to the save I uploaded.

Edit: Okay, there must be something weird with the way I've set up my trade depot. The human caravan arrived, and the wagons got to the depot okay, but the pack animals seem to be having trouble with my access hallway. They get halfway into the corridor, and then they turn around and run out, and then they turn around and try to get in again, repeat ad nauseam. There's no hostile creatures anywhere in the area (I let the goblins trapped under the bridge go free as they were hurting my FPS). I've uploaded a save here to illustrate the issue. They did eventually make it into the depot without me doing anything.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 02:38:20 pm by Derakon »
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 03:26:14 am »

Your first problem isnt so much a bug as an artifact of a database system based game. The job the haul a Item places a lock on the item for any other jobs.

This prevents anouther action moving the item which would when the hauler turn up either 1, generate a exception as the pickup command is invalid as the item dosnt exist 2, generate a duplicate item as it didnt check that the item had moved (it just copied the stored data of the item to its inventory or 3, crash the game when the game says item must be at location x and the hauler object says item not found.

At least thats the way I understand it. When I was taught database design they always said that a object is locked while a task occurs on it to prevent any conflict issues.

For the Merchants I can only think that either they are running from something and then gaining confidence and then re running (anything outside?).