Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves can see goblins through raised bridges  (Read 1179 times)

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves can see goblins through raised bridges
« on: June 21, 2008, 01:47:48 am »

I dropped some goblins into a pit using a drawbridge, and then noticed that any civilian that got close to the bridge cancelled his task because of the goblin, despite the fact that there was no gap between the bridge and the wall - that is, the civilian shouldn't have been able to see the goblin.

I've uploaded a save of the fort here. There's a lever in the middle of the crafts area that's linked to the drawbridge, which is currently lowered. Raise the bridge and move some civilians near it and you'll see what I mean.

Also, while messing around with this, I accidentally dropped a cat onto the goblins. Goblins...don't attack cats. I thought that rather odd, as they happily destroyed my musk oxen.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves can see goblins through raised bridges
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 01:49:27 am »

Yeah, dwarves will happily (?) cancel tasks because of enemies below the bridges.  It's rather annoying.

Stellar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 10:32:59 am »

Same goes to walls, etc. Rather annoying when try build something near chasm/magmapool when there's creatures and dwarves run away everytime they try approach it, even there is a wall between. Same thing just happened me when i had a ballista in my fortress yard and enemies otherside of wall. Tought i can shoot 'em, but then noticed this dwarf refuses to go and use ballista because enemy is too near...

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 10:56:35 am »

They seem to be fine if the bridge is lowered, is the thing. It's when it's raised (and forming a "wall" across the corridor) that they can see through.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 05:15:08 pm »

After manually adding a TREE_GRASP so I could try the save, I didn't see any interruptions with the bridge up. Made some dwarves dump some of that extra gear right next to the raised bridge and they did it without a problem.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 09:58:29 pm »

TREE_GRASP?  What modifications were made?  It would be best to have them all before I try anything out.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 10:22:32 pm »

I don't know about TREE_GRASP, but if other people aren't having problems then it's probably not worth looking into. In fact, I thought of another way dwarves could see goblins - out the skylight above the depot. I'd just assumed that since the un-trapped goblins were fleeing, they wouldn't go over my fort.