Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coin hauling... and why they don't do it...  (Read 992 times)

FlamingCow

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Cow!!
    • View Profile
Coin hauling... and why they don't do it...
« on: June 19, 2008, 06:01:29 pm »

Does anyone know? I've had three metalsmith's forges on the highest clutter levels due to dozens of mini-stacks of coins in them. I have a coin stockpile and now, I have dozens of mini-stacks of coins lying on the ground where the forges used to be.... I also hate coinage  :P

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
Re: Coin hauling... and why they don't do it...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 06:10:47 pm »

If the stacks are split they've become the property of individual dwarves and won't be hauled to your coin stockpile.  The only place they'll go is to the owner's bedroom and that is only if the owner gets a Store owned item job.  Which is a rather low priority job.  You can test it out, highlight some coins and view them to determine the owner.  Find said owner, make sure he has a bedroom (and a cabinet too unless you want him to scatter his coins and shoes on the floor ... wait, chests for coins, cabinets for shoes) and edit his labor preferences so he goes idle.  Eventually he should store his coins.

Determine whether or not you want to do that for all the coins in your forge, otherwise consider building another forge or even tearing down the existing one to rebuild if you don't mind those coins getting scattered all over the floor.  They won't clutter your forge any longer at least.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 06:14:04 pm »

Coins are totally optional right now - dwarves are perfectly capable of handling the economy with fake money, just like we do in real life. They'll just keep their account balances in their heads.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 06:54:24 pm »

I find that if I make some coins (say 15000 worth of each) before the economy starts, and store it in banks (stockpiles) that are close to the dwarves' housing, I have no problems with coin cluttering for many years after the economy has started. I do allow dwarves their free time to party, and store personal belongings. In most of my fortresses at least.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

FlamingCow

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Cow!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 07:01:55 pm »

ahh, excellent. Right. No more coins for them. And yes, I deconstructed the workshops, built them somewhere else. I don't really mind visual clutter, it's just the stuff that slows the workshops that annoys me. :D