Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Floodgates with adjustable height  (Read 961 times)

dwarfed one

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Floodgates with adjustable height
« on: June 21, 2008, 12:35:29 am »

I would like to see classical floodgate with adjustable height which allow water to overflow it.
It's essential for:
* basins
* irrigation
* water and magma saving (doesn't let to pump magma lower than 4 level)
* mechanical computer (3+2 of water on 4 height floodgate -> water overflows on pressure plate).

Such floodgate should have special English name. Advise it, please, I'll change name of topic.

awdball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Floodgates with adjustable height
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 11:31:20 am »

I'll second that request. I was planning to post just that suggestion myself two days ago and got distracted and forgot. The hard part for implementing a floodgate that had setting levels from 0 to 7, with 0 equivalent to todays verison of open and 7 equivalent to closed, would be how to let mechanics attach to it and affect it.

If it was a set up as a setting on the floodgates 'q' menu, for how wide open it opens to all the time then the code could still just toggle between the closed state and the new set point. I suppose worst case you could have two set points open = { 0-6 },  closed = { 1 - 7 }.

I look forward to the day I can see this, a floodgate set to a 6 letting a trickle of water out of a resevoir.
Code: [Select]
##################
.........11#667677
.......1111#666777
.....111111X666677
.......1111#666777
.........11#667677
##################

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 12:52:44 pm »

Because of how water pressure works (real life as well as DF), wouldn't this be impossible without basically making a slow pump?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 12:56:40 pm »

it would have other uses too. i really like the idea, but i think it doesnt need a new gate, but a new kind of lever, called "valve wheel"  ;)

awdball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 01:32:17 pm »

hmmm you just made me think how this works in real life. Water gushing out of a small hole from behind a dam at pressure. Pressure might still be able to be handled by if Toady could instead of teleporting a 7/7 stack of water only teleport a 1/7 stack of water, if the path between pressurized water and spot to teleport to was blocked by a floodgate that was set to 6/7.

Of course then you would run into problems like having to determine if there was another path from a pressurized resevoir that was wide open. That's all any system like this needs is more dynamic pathfinding.

Actually the best case for this would be to have such a floodgate that de-pressurized the water and avoid the issue say if the water on the far side was not 7/7.

Damn, all I can say is that I have to bow before the magnificent creation that Toady has wrought and wish that in some future life I will be deemed worthy to see the code.

AWDBall
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 01:34:07 pm by awdball »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 01:42:54 pm »

wish that in some future life I will be deemed worthy to see the code.

Unlikely, you'd have to reincarnate as Toady himself. :P