Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Conveyor belts, dumb waiters and stockpiles  (Read 1161 times)

Kyace

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Conveyor belts, dumb waiters and stockpiles
« on: June 18, 2008, 11:39:21 am »

One of the biggest pains of larger forts is hauling tasks. Distance, the number of items needing moved and the limited number of haulers means than a large portion of your fort's 'work' is hauling. What I'd like to suggest that could possibly ease the problem using current "take from stockpile" interface with a few new powered items: windmill/waterwill powered conveyor belts and dumb waiters (aka freight elevators).

If Stockpile 2 is set to take from Stockpile 1, and if conveyor belts or freight elevators connect the two, then when items are needed to move between the two, then the belt/elevator transport the item without a haul task. Maybe, as a balance, let the belts jam like a weapon trap rarely and require a hauler needed to keep it in working order.

Bad idea? Something already planned?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Conveyor belts, dumb waiters and stockpiles
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 11:48:04 am »

I don't know if it's already planned, but it's certainly been suggested before, and generally well-received.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 12:15:31 pm »

Mayhaps this hauling problem is being over thought.

If dwarves can haul more then one item at a time, that would probably help a TON.  Maybe depending on weight.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 12:53:13 pm »

conveyor belts wouldn't help much.

They really wouldn't.

They would be a nice addition tho. Just for the fact of having them.

I'm sure we could find some creative ideas for how to use them for things.

Maybe link sections of your fort together with These belts, so you can move things from one location to another.
There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 11:35:32 am »

I can imagine using a wide swath of conveyor belts to move corpses and loot from under your retracting bridge trap down to a single conveyor, then through a hallway of wall traps and steam until you get to the indoor refuse pile, which lets miasma wash pretty much constantly into your noble cells through holes in the floor. It would be beautiful.

Or, a conveyor that sends trash out to the chasm.

Interesting arena terrain?

Now elevators would be pointless for movement. Dwarves already move REALLY FAST up and down stairs. If Toady ever programmed vertical movement more realistically, elevators would be worthwhile. But elevators would be awesome for trap and mechanical fun design.

But dumbwaiters would be necessary is/when Toady implements falling damage to objects. Plus it's nice to be able to send things back up.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic