Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What's so bad about winter?  (Read 2279 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: What's so bad about winter?
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 05:23:46 am »

Apparently they are going extinct. Survival of the fittest. Goes to show that two humps are better than one.

Hehe... Indonesia War Minister... Heheheheee. That's a nice name man.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 06:45:36 am »

Like was previously said, this is definitely stigma lingering from the time of the 2D version.
It was a combination of:
1) Not having nearly enough points for starting food and booze. (and no anvil to sell)
2) It was much harder to get farming started, and more dangerous. It was also time consuming, so if you weren't careful you might end up with no farms ready by winter. (Though experienced players would be ready in Summer, max)
3) Of course, no growing food of any kind during winter + no fishing outside if it is frozen + hunting was more broken.
4) The 2D version was a lot harder in many different ways, so winter + that is extra bad.
I miss the 2D version ;_;
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 08:38:14 am »

I kind of wish winter was harder tbh since the only noticeable effect is the frost, and that I can't refill my cistern, not that I'll ever need to.

I wonder if somebody made a mod that makes it more like in the old version.

Also, why not have dwarves who stay out in the cold too long start taking damage or getting sick? A new type of damage could be added maybe...
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 12:21:46 pm »

Dwarves will take cold damage outside if it's cold enough. This is part of why they wear so many clothes; the clothes insulate them against the cold.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 07:33:32 pm »

Evidently mine were nudists.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2008, 08:31:41 pm »

What I don't get is how the temperature is nice and constant indoors year-round, while it fluctuates outdoors, combined with the fact that indoor crops are seasonal but outdoor crops are every season.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 07:30:26 am »

Dwarves will take cold damage outside if it's cold enough. This is part of why they wear so many clothes; the clothes insulate them against the cold.
Maybe the massive amount of disgusting dirt and grime that must collect on the clothes that they NEVER CHANGE and ALWAYS WEAR, provides some extra insulation.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008, 08:46:23 am »

As an adventurer, I once lost a toe to frostbite within a goblin fortress, so I'm not sure that temperature works takes notice of where you are.
A lot of the weather suggestions (snow, hail, etc) would make winter harder, mostly because your computer would be melting.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008, 05:25:13 pm »

The two-humped ones can live ANYWHERE. From Canada to South Africa.
However the one humped ones only lives with the Arabs. There are no wild community of one-humped camels. Hmm, I wonder why?

There are no truly wild ones, yes, but the feral ones in Australia seem to do very well.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.
Pages: 1 [2]