Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [38c] Retractable bridges don't fall when not supported  (Read 2312 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
[38c] Retractable bridges don't fall when not supported
« on: June 13, 2008, 03:46:00 pm »

There is nothing above or below the bridges, on the sides of the bridges, or above or below the sides of the bridges.

If this doesn't reproduce, it might be related to bug 000472 (collapsing a structure containing ramps can leave a line of floating downramps), because there used to be such downramps above the edges of the bridges (although I removed them before trying to collapse the bridges).

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
Re: [38c] Retractable bridges don't fall when not supported
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 04:46:00 pm »

I always assumed this was so you could build multiple bridges as one long one
Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 05:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Danaru:
<STRONG>I always assumed this was so you could build multiple bridges as one long one</STRONG>

assuming you meant "as long as one is connected to an edge" you're right. As long as a single tile is supported from underneath or on the side, the entire ridiculous network will remain perfectly stable.

But if you look closely at his picture, you'll see that his ridiculous network of bridges is entirely surrounded by open space. There's no connection to the rock walls. Assuming he's correct about there being nothing underneath to support them, they are truly in fact hovering in mid-air.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 07:58:00 pm »

What was the last action you took that should have collapsed the bridges?  That's where the check is failing.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 08:13:00 pm »

I removed a constructed floor tile on the north side, by that big white section. It had attached the bridges to a cavern floor just outside of the screenshot. The floor tile was in place before any of the bridges were built.

For convenience, the entire history of that area:

1. First, there was a pair of floors above a magma pool, connected by ramps. (There was a floor area on the surface, a floor area on z-1, the surface of a magma pool on z-2, and a series of randomly placed ramps connecting the two floor areas)

2. I constructed a ring of floors above the edges of the two levels, and dropped it, punching through both levels and leaving a nice rectangular hole in the ground, albeit with a ring of "phantom downramps" on the surface z-level.

3. I constructed a single floor tile on the edge of the pit (not shown above, as it no longer existed at the time of the screenshot). I constructed the bridges in question on z-1 as shown above, constructed floors around the edges of the hole underneath the downramps, and removed them, disposing of the downramps above.

4. I removed the first floor tile I constructed, which was the only thing keeping the bridges up. The bridges fail to collapse.

[ June 14, 2008: Message edited by: Untelligent ]

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 09:07:39 pm »

Okay, I'll note it down.  It'll be the first bug report in the list to have a proper new forum link...
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 09:16:46 pm »

It'll be the first bug report in the list to have a proper new forum link...

Neat!

Pyrorex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 12:39:39 pm »

<P>There is nothing above or below the bridges, on the sides of the bridges, or above or below the sides of the bridges.<P>If this doesn't reproduce, it might be related to bug 000472 (collapsing a structure containing ramps can leave a line of floating downramps), because there used to be such downramps above the edges of the bridges (although I removed them before trying to collapse the bridges).
What about that fortification in the center?

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 01:21:40 pm »

What about that fortification in the center?

That's a single-tile bridge.
<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die

Pyrorex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 01:26:00 pm »

Looks like a fortification to me, but hey, I've never used a single tile bridge.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 01:43:08 pm »

One thing I have also noticed about retractables is that they can support other bridges by the corners. Afaik no other construction can do this.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2008, 02:07:44 pm »

One thing I have also noticed about retractables is that they can support other bridges by the corners. Afaik no other construction can do this.

Interesting.  Though doesn't seem to be the case here.