Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Oh the tragedy.  (Read 1240 times)

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Oh the tragedy.
« on: June 16, 2008, 08:14:54 am »

Once, in my fortress, I had three hunters; one was killed by a wolf that had just entered the map, another by a goblin ambush, and the third, I noticed, was the wife of a champion and the mother of two.
Now, being sentimental, and afraid of a tantruming champion, I made it my mission to keep her alive, and so I kitted her out in plate mail (stupid I know, but I thought she'd still sleep inside) and gave her the majority of my surprisingly large number of war dogs. She had forty furry body-guards and two hunting dogs and was safe as houses in my mind.
Then she hit an ambush. Turns out she was pretty fond of those dogs. Less fond of that table though. And I guess she must have hated that jewler. Now I've got a jail-cell full of war-dogs and one melencholic marksdwarf. How sad.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: Oh the tragedy.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 08:38:33 am »

I've noticed this too. :-\

What I do now is have the dwarves I want protection be animal trainers so that dogs (and stuff) follow them around without being assigned to them.
I'm not really sure if this solves the problem but I'd like to think it does.  ;D
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

John

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 10:26:27 am »

I don't even touch trained dogs anymore - they're not that useful in combat and whenever they die the animal trainer (who is usually legendary by this point, and thus so much more effective in destroying bridges and starting fights) flips out.  Not fun to deal with.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 09:14:09 pm »

It would have been perfect if only she had gone psychopathic.
Imagine, effectively ostracized from society, her only comfort her personal army of dogs. Then she witnessed a score of her only friends falling to the goblin's blade, she destroy the society that failed her. Soon arrested, she is kept in a cell for a season, finally being torn apart by the dogs that surround her.
I think there's a Swedish film with that exact plot.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 10:03:55 pm »

I tend to give one dog to everyone who isn't in the military for emergency purposes. It's really useful in places where even wandering outside is deadly and monstrous creatures fly in to wreak havoc. Provided you have a sufficiently legendary dining room and good chefs, the effect from the loss of the dogs is minimal.

Eita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 11:23:29 pm »

Imagine, effectively ostracized from society, her only comfort her personal army of dogs. Then she witnessed a score of her only friends falling to the goblin's blade, she destroy the society that failed her. Soon arrested, she is kept in a cell for a season, finally being torn apart by the dogs that surround her.

Sweden is officially awesomer.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2008, 02:05:00 am »

Swedish, or sweded?  ;)

My post is devoid of content.