Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: When exactly do religions start showing up in forts?  (Read 1563 times)

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When exactly do religions start showing up in forts?
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2008, 09:53:53 am »

Jihadism?

I was pretty sure the word was "crusaderism", or just plain
"fundamentalism"...

Just out of curiosity, when did it become "Jihadism"?
'Crusaderism' is not generally treated as a word.

And it's a matter of perspective.  In the west the Crusades aren't a big deal.  The peoples on the wrong end of the Crusades either eventually became culturally extinct, like the Albigensians or the Byzantines, or were so far away that we didn't think of them much until after World War I.

'Militant Fundamentalism' would do, as plenty of fundamentalists don't have a particularly militant bent.  There are, in fact, pacifist fundamentalists.

Jihad is Holy War, just as Crusade is.  But Jihad is still used, while the last Crusade was that against the Cathar Albigensians in something like the twelfth or thirteen century.

So, yes, it's Jihadism.  If that seems culturally insensitive remember that the official Crusades - the official Christian Holy Wars - ended a long, long time ago and the last one was against other Christians.
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When exactly do religions start showing up in forts?
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2008, 10:01:59 am »

Jihadism?

I was pretty sure the word was "crusaderism", or just plain
"fundamentalism"...

Just out of curiosity, when did it become "Jihadism"?
'Crusaderism' is not generally treated as a word.

And it's a matter of perspective.  In the west the Crusades aren't a big deal.  The peoples on the wrong end of the Crusades either eventually became culturally extinct, like the Albigensians or the Byzantines, or were so far away that we didn't think of them much until after World War I.

'Militant Fundamentalism' would do, as plenty of fundamentalists don't have a particularly militant bent.  There are, in fact, pacifist fundamentalists.

Jihad is Holy War, just as Crusade is.  But Jihad is still used, while the last Crusade was that against the Cathar Albigensians in something like the twelfth or thirteen century.

So, yes, it's Jihadism.  If that seems culturally insensitive remember that the official Crusades - the official Christian Holy Wars - ended a long, long time ago and the last one was against other Christians.

Not culturally insensitive, necessarily, I just wondered since I had never heard the word before. Thought it might have a post- 9/11 origin, like Freedom Fries and such  ::)
Anyway, this isn't really abount real life religions so let's push things forward, as they say.

I, for one, enjoy the silly little gods my dwarves worship, especially when it flies in the face of all reason
Pages: 1 [2]