Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF: Old or new?  (Read 802 times)

DeathFromAbove

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
DF: Old or new?
« on: May 20, 2008, 03:47:00 pm »

Do any of you still play the older versions of DF? As in, pre-z-axis? I've been considering moving back to it, as it just seemed attacks and what not were more common, and it wasn't quite as complicated.

Keizo

• Bay Watcher
  • Proving dwarven motorcycle gangs are yankees too.
    • View Profile
Re: DF: Old or new?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 03:59:00 pm »

I have a lot of fond memories of the old version, but I'm way too spoiled by features like rewalling to go back. I think I was forced to be more creative with design and put a lot of thought into it, as everything had such a sense of permanence and care. But, it's nice to have the opposite end of that spectrum now, where even if I screw up and flood a section of my fort, there's still a solution for drainage and there really are no irrecoverable mistakes.

Also, I get PLENTY of goblin attacks in 38c. In fact, My last fort was crippled by an ambush right on my barracks, where my entire military was asleep and was quickly slaughtered, all because of an oversight where I left the drawbridge to my fort down. This was at a population of less than 30 dwarves, too.

火族

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 06:59:00 pm »

Having all the DF version's I've ever downloaded in one folder makes this kind of stuff easy to tag and brag about.

Note: The modded 2d is the one which has all the semimegabeasts have civilizations, I don't remember exactly who made it, but I've still got a Minotaur Hermit fort in that one.

[ May 20, 2008: Message edited by: Torak ]

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

LordZabujca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 07:29:00 pm »

We did have rewalling (sort of) in the 2D version - you just had to get creative:

STEP 1: Build a raisable bridge (even 1x1 worked if I remember correctly)
STEP 2: Build a lever
STEP 3: Connect the bridge to the lever
STEP 4: Pull the lever
STEP 5: Dismantle the lever

...aaand you've got yourself something as good as a wall (except for anti-cavein support, but I guess you can't have everything). I've built a pretty big city this way so I can confirm that while it's VERY accident prone, it works. Actually, I guess it may still be a good idea for wall constructions if you want to conserve your resources AND give your dwarves a "wall" with a quality rating to admire.

What I miss the most about the 2D version is the sense of having a goal - survive (farming was more difficult, or seemed so at least - and you had to watch out for attacks not only from the outside, but from the inside as well), dig deep, overcome the obstacles, kill the demons and mine out adamantine and make something awesome for your adventurer out of it before the fort gets too deeped. After that, game over. Oh, sure - most of the fortresses never actually got to the end, but the ultimate goal was always there and even if you've made a "hey, lets just goof off" fort you could still go for the adamantine when you've extracted all the enjoyment you could from it.

Now we get the possibility to build a fort anywhere, in many more ways than before, but the cost is that we've lost that sense of working toward a set goal and goofing off is about all you can do. Oh, sure it's fun too, and I guess you can set your own goals, but it's just not the same.

Still, I love the "build ANYTHING, ANYWHERE, with an EXTRA DIMENSION and an ever increasing list of awesome features" thing that the current 3D releases have going on way more than that sense of a goal of the pre-Z axis versions, so I've switched to them completely and do not look back.

[ May 20, 2008: Message edited by: LordZabujca ]

MaxVance

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Internet User
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 07:41:00 pm »

I have a Mac. So yes, I play both the old and the new version.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 09:26:00 pm »

Basically what Keizo said, I get nostalgic about the 2D version sometimes, but I can't imagine doing without all the features and interface changes that the new version offers.

I mean...even forgetting rewalling for a minute, could you imagine having to have every bedroom on the same z-level, or not being able to do a simple thing like putting the food stockpile under the dining room? Oh yes, and remember all the fun of scrolling through every single log and rock you owned without knowing how far away it was anytime you wanted to build something?

I do sort of miss the cave river and the way it was such a central part of every fortress though - sustaining life and occasionally taking it away, very Nile-like.  

quote:
Originally posted by MaxVance:
<STRONG>I have a Mac. So yes, I play both the old and the new version.</STRONG>

I feel a little ignorant here but what does having a Mac have to do with playing both versions?

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 09:39:00 pm »

And does the mac even have the 2d version?

Kuli

• Bay Watcher
  • Born-Again Zefonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 10:05:00 pm »

The only thing I really miss from the 2D version was having internal threats from the cave river, chasm, and magma flow.  I miss having to deal with seasonal floods and antmen ambushes.  Nowadays things seem too safe since I can just wall out the goblins and never have to worry about any sort of threat.  I miss putting cage traps around my wells just in case the lizardmen decided to get uppity.
"The power of Zefon compels you!"

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 06:07:00 pm »

I think he means that it's one of the only games for mac.