Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ambushes and sieges question  (Read 773 times)

Talith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
ambushes and sieges question
« on: June 13, 2008, 10:20:00 pm »

I am wondering if there is a way to turn off ambushes, but leave in sieges.  While i find sieges to be fun, ambushes are nothing more than a pain in the ass.  While i am at it, could anyone explain the actual difference between the tags babysnatcher, sieger, and ambusher? Are there any others? Thanks

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ambushes and sieges question
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 10:22:00 pm »

Well if you are a masochist you can remove the [BABYSNATCHER] tag from the goblins and it will stop sending snatchers, and goblins I think. Instead they will send sieges. All the time.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 07:28:24 pm »

Actually, I've found you don't need to be a masochist about it.

These tags determine how fast the enemy civ does stuff:
Code: [Select]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:2]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PRODUCTION:2]
[PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE:2]

Bumping those numbers up to 3 will mean that they hold off on sieging until your fort is fairly prosperous.

Basically, I've found that these values at 2 mean that you start seeing the enemy after your first migrant wave, more or less. Or after your fortress wealth his about 10-15k. I'm not sure on the exact numbers.

With the values set to 3, you'll start seeing them at around 40 or so dwarves, or a wealth in the 100k+ range. Again, not really sure on the wealth part, since I don't tend to have high wealth without lots of dwarves.

If you made it 4, you'd probably be holding off until the usual 80 dwarves or so, but I haven't tested that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 10:21:31 pm »

What if it's 0 or 1?
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 10:25:11 pm »

What if it's 0 or 1?

I assume 0 means if you modded goblins to have the name zergling, you would get a popular strategy re-enacted in DF.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 11:19:01 pm »

Having them at 0 would probably be like not having the tags at all.
If you set them to 1, you'll see them start to arrive at the same time as you'll see Kobolds and Elves.

But yeah, to disable ambushes completely just remove the [BABYSNATCHER] tag.

Edit: as for your other questions the [BABYSNATCHER] tag has the same effect as the [AMBUSHER] tag, which means that the entity will arrive on the map hidden.

The [SIEGER] tag is used for "friendly" (those with the [ENTITY_GROUPING:FRIENDLY] tag) entities, such as Humans, so that if you piss them off enough, they'll send a group of troops to siege you. Entities with the [ENTITY_GROUPING:EVIL] tag will siege you either way.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 11:24:36 pm by Surma »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 01:34:15 am »

For the 0 or 1, Surma is probably correct, although I haven't tested either.

Interesting note: If you give an EVIL civ the [AMBUSHER] tag, they'll still siege, but their sieges start of hidden the way ambushes do. Which makes them MUCH deadlier, since you don't know where the siegers are or what their composition is.

Random note: Adding [ITEM_THIEF] after the [BABYSNATCHER] tag in an EVIL civ will have them do ambushes as normal, but their thieves will steal items instead of trying to steal children. I don't know what happens if you have ITEM_THIEF but not BABYSNATCHER. I haven't tried that yet.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One