Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 38c Superfast bridge deconstruction  (Read 735 times)

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
38c Superfast bridge deconstruction
« on: June 17, 2008, 10:52:05 pm »

I shouldn't be too hard to replicate this one.

What happens is when you set a bridge for demolition a mason or whatever will come by and start to dismantle it. The bridge goes from tiles to pillars to small pillars and finally dissapears. Well when you cancel the dismantling job halfway, it will turn into a construction job instead. Suddenly the bridge will disappear instantly and the materials used to make it will appear all around the area. This is accompanied by a message that "the job could not be completed".

So the bug would be that half done deconstruction jobs should turn back into construction jobs if you change your mind. But this currently does not happen for bridges. Presumably this would affect other large constructions such as trade depots.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 38c Superfast bridge deconstruction
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 12:27:46 am »

I think, but not sure, that this isnt a bug so much as just an artifact of the game system, the dwarf had started his demolition order when he reached the object. You cancled the abililty for the bridge to issue this order but the dwarf was already into his action. This ment that despite the bridge now being marked for construction the dwarf followed his task of domolition to the end.

Its kinda like turning off hunting once a hunter has locked onto a target. He will only end his hunt after he makes his kill from then on.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 12:48:05 am »

I'm thinking Tamren has noted that there is a way to half the time to dismantle buildings by deconstructing, then cancelling the deconstruction so the building becomes instantly dismantled. This means this would be an exploitable bug/artifact?

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 01:17:24 am »

Its an exploit in that you can use it to explosively deconstruct large bridges. (10x 10 bridges take a very long time). Its a bug in that this may cause problems when it happens.

The KEY bug that I can see here is that once a bridge has started to be dismantled, there is no way to recover the bridge other than building the bridge all over again.

Logically you could stop taking it apart and simply start putting it back together again.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 08:39:52 pm »

I'll note it down with Bug 859 which is a different take on the same basic problem.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!