Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress Seige - The tale of a kitten's paw  (Read 1276 times)

Aegis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress Seige - The tale of a kitten's paw
« on: March 26, 2008, 04:59:00 pm »

It wasn't pretty. My Dwarfs were in the worst possible situation at the time. One Goblin thief was discovered in the east, so I cut him off with a quickly assembled squad. But then another was discovered by my hunter in the west, with proficient crossbow skill, so it ended up messy.
So with my 2 main forces stretched far apart the goblins decided to start their attack. They came from east and met unarmed civilians who fought in one on one unarmed combat.
A notable battle was a carpenter who fought single handedly against a goblin spearman. He received mortal injuries but managed to finish off the spearman, unfortunately he perished afterwards instantly. With my unarmed force defeated I pulled up the bridges and was completely sealed off from the foe. Unfortunately  several dwarfs, a mule and a kitten were trapped outside.
I quickly assembled a quick squad of 7 dwarfs and sent them to the highest fortified tower I could offer. At that point the enemy were slaughtered by 7 crossbow wielding dwarfs in a volley of inescapable bolts. But, alas, they were too slow and my mule and 4 dwarfs were killed. They sounded the retreat and began to run, but I cut them down in their tracks.

Total losses:
10 dwarves
a mule
a door (a dwarf got pretty unhappy)
and my kitten's paw was broken.  

This was also my first siege ever! Did I fail miserably or did I do well?

Donkringel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Seige - The tale of a kitten's paw
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 06:04:00 pm »

I'd say you did well.

No matter how much planning, or crack military you have, a sudden siege can kill a lot of civilians before they get inside, and even more military if the dwarves don't get their act together. After all, you had a plan in place, so that says something as well.

'Sides, you'll recoup those losses easy with the next immigration.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 12:22:00 am »

Any siege that a single dwarf walks away from is a well-handled siege.

Sorry about the kitten.  Still, it doesn't affect the amount of meat if the paw is merely broken.

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 09:34:00 am »

Poor kitten  :(
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.