Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Growing trees outside  (Read 603 times)

Doctor Lucky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Growing trees outside
« on: March 22, 2008, 06:44:00 pm »

I know it's a bit undwarfly, but does anyone have experience with trying to grow trees outside in non-tree biomes?

I've currently got a map which has a small chunk of forested biome, which is sufficient for my wood needs.  The remainder of the map in mountains, and the surface is just boulder-strewn barrens.

I was wondering whether making these areas muddy would eventually spawn tree growth in a similar fashion to tower caps growing underground?  Or does the biome designation prevent this? (ie: there are no tree types specified for the area, so they don't grow.)

I'd hate to have to roof my entire map just to make gardens where I want them, you see...

DL

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Growing trees outside
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »

From my experience digging pits in sand, i'd guess that if anything did grow, it would only be grass, and no trees.

Then again, it wouldn't be hard to set up would it? flood a small section and see what happens

Magma is overrated.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Growing trees outside
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 01:51:00 am »

I think tower-caps will actually grow outside, so long as you provide the "spawn", which only come from underground rivers/ponds.  Except in certain mildly buggy circumstances.