Poll

What Embark would you like to see

Haunted Desert with Volcano
- 5 (83.3%)
Haunted Glacier
- 1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Voting closed: November 07, 2016, 09:20:13 am

Author Topic: The Lost Colony (Title in the Works): Polling For Embark, Please Vote  (Read 1304 times)

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile

Case File #1623: The Lost Colony

Inquirer Ryukan, Agent-in-Charge

To the Council in Tombcrest, After an extensive expedition and excavation project, we finally got results on the early morning of 17th Limonite 327. Our miners breached the site and allowed our teams to move in. After only a few hours of searching, we discovered the bodies of all the citizens of the fortress, including the remains of one Cog the Architect. In the hands of this individual, we found a dusty journal, in which this was the last entry.

From this excerpt and the conditions of the corpses, we can deduce that the expedition fell victim to a viral infection that wiped out the entirety of the population. The remains of one individual have yet to be recovered though. Derm the Soulchopper's remains where not among the other's in the fortress. After a cursory check of the caverns we deduced that he alone survived the fate of the fortress. As to his whereabouts? It is anyone's guess.

I leave this Case file to the Council to review.

With your leave and awaiting your orders,

Ryukan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the Fortress. This going to be a "sequel" to the famous Towersoared, though in a more Spiritual Successor way than a direct sequel. I plan to begin later this weekend, I will be following traditional succession rules, two week time limit etc. The "goal" of this fort, is to live up to, and one day maybe surpass, it's predecessor. So huge towering projects that defy those who mock us, a military to rival the clowns of H.F.S. and to create one or two physical gods while we're at it.

Spoiler: Da Rulez (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Turn List (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Table of Content (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 09:20:45 am by TheImmortalRyukan »
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: The Lost Colony (Title in the Works): Succession Fortress
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 01:06:25 pm »

Any mods? version? Have you embarked yet?

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: The Lost Colony (Title in the Works): Succession Fortress
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 03:41:05 pm »

Any mods? version? Have you embarked yet?

Nope, finishing up my personal fortress then I'll move to this one. (Currently fighting the HFS and hving a lot of !FUN!)

As for mods, I'm open to suggestions, just be in mind I plan on using 42.06.

You interested or is this a lost cause?

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lost Colony (Title in the Works): Succession Fortress 42.06
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 07:27:51 pm »

*shrugs* As someone who hasn't read towersoared and just came off designing variable-time 6-tile timers/repeaters after messing with embark setup of 1x1 after reconsiderations of minimizing hauling distance, the spirit doesn't seem to be fitting :P I suppose could use that for a danger room 40-day lock, but ...military for me is like the fourth consideration, after traps, weaponizing or avoiding.

Still, I might be interested in reading about it I suppose.

Though, as far as creating "physical gods" goes, I suggest for the embark to have husking dust/mist with steel clowns. Not sure how easy to gen that is, though - never gone genning for clowns and don't recall if evil affected them.

Elagn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Lost Colony (Title in the Works): Succession Fortress 42.06
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 10:38:47 pm »

I really like the idea, and towersoared was an epic fortress. I would be interested in participating.

As for living gods, I assume this would refer to someone like Derm, who, for those who haven't read the story, was an axe dwarf, who, due to some quirk in personality, spent literally every spare moment training, and who literally butchered sieges, goblins, demons, forgotten beasts, giants, and more in vast numbers. The only wound he ever took was a broken finger from a troglodyte, witch, with the ensuing bloodbath, was greatly regretted by all involved. In tests, he was shown to be able to take on the entire military of the fortress single-handedly, and that military was many squads of legendary warriors armed and armored in masterful adamantine.
"Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" Einstein

"Measure what is measurable and make measurable what is not so" Galileo

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: The Lost Colony (Title in the Works): Succession Fortress 42.05
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 07:25:07 am »

I really like the idea, and towersoared was an epic fortress. I would be interested in participating.

As for living gods, I assume this would refer to someone like Derm, who, for those who haven't read the story, was an axe dwarf, who, due to some quirk in personality, spent literally every spare moment training, and who literally butchered sieges, goblins, demons, forgotten beasts, giants, and more in vast numbers. The only wound he ever took was a broken finger from a troglodyte, witch, with the ensuing bloodbath, was greatly regretted by all involved. In tests, he was shown to be able to take on the entire military of the fortress single-handedly, and that military was many squads of legendary warriors armed and armored in masterful adamantine.

Kewl you have spot numero dos.

I'm genning the world right now. My Personal Fort has died (awesomely I'll add) So now I have time for this.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 09:13:21 am by TheImmortalRyukan »

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: The Lost Colony (Title in the Works): Polling For Embark, Please Vote
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 09:21:31 am »

Added a poll to let you all see what the world has. I want something haunted, so I chose the two areas the world has.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 10:00:56 am »

Haunted, not Terrifying?

Have you checked that they're husking?

Pretty boring wildlife, though. Maybe add tropical forest and temperate plains to desert?

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 10:18:33 am »

Haunted, not Terrifying?

Have you checked that they're husking?

Pretty boring wildlife, though. Maybe add tropical forest and temperate plains to desert?

I haven't checked it yet, so I dont know, I merely saw it via world gen screen. I'll see what I can do.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 02:31:15 pm »

Do we need to know anything about Towersoared to play? I guess we just need to know that we need to work on the tower and military.

I'm not sure I understand the story. I'm guessing Cog’s Journal details the end of that fortress. Are we supposed to pretend like we're embarking on the ruins of that fortress and trying to find the truth of what happened there?

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 02:57:40 pm »

Do we need to know anything about Towersoared to play? I guess we just need to know that we need to work on the tower and military.

I'm not sure I understand the story. I'm guessing Cog’s Journal details the end of that fortress. Are we supposed to pretend like we're embarking on the ruins of that fortress and trying to find the truth of what happened there?
Well, everything possible should be on a massive scale- like the dining hall for example- check out the map.
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 03:32:34 pm »

lol, Toweredsoared is considered THE most successful fortress ever built. It was built by Cog. The fort's owner dropped off the face of the internet 3 years ago, I just merely needed an excuse to start a fort.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 05:41:07 pm »

Well, everything possible should be on a massive scale- like the dining hall for example- check out the map.
That's an insane scale.

Though, since it isn't 2010 anymore it could be made much smaller with minecarts.

...Or bigger, with the efficiency gains, I suppose ^^;;

Just the dining rooms alone make me want to set up a track system >>

EDIT: I read a bit more of Towersoared. And, well...
Two Week RL to finish One year in-game, exceptions may be made upon community consensus
This is not going to work with just 1 year per player. The dining hall alone took over a dozen years to complete. Typically, the moment a new overseer takes over they won't finish things that the overseer from previous turn, let alone dozen turns ago, didn't even designate.

EDIT2: I suggest changing it to at most 2 weeks, of at least a season up to any number of years in-game. (Complex shapes are a pain to designate.)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 03:26:11 pm by Fleeting Frames »