Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does anyone have a 3d mod?  (Read 583 times)

Does anyone have a 3d mod?
« on: January 27, 2008, 11:13:00 am »

I kinda left DF after the new release, because the Z-Levels were driving me crazy. I'm trying to get back into it (a nice new computer definitely helps), but I still don't like how the Z-axis works, especially for outdoor views.

So . . . is anyone working on an interface that would take the data provided and create a display that merges all the outside areas into one display, using false perspective, perhaps?

-Albert

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone have a 3d mod?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 11:55:00 am »

There is a 3d visualizer program in the general discussion forum, but it's not real-time because it's too slow (or something, I forget). If you just want to get a general idea of what your fort looks like, it's great, but it's no good for a minimap type thing.

you can press.... shift-v? or something like that while playing and get a sort of a visualization but it's not super useful yet. It might help you a bit though.

Otherwise, I don't think we can make an in-game false perspective display just yet and you will have to wait for toady to improve the shift-v visualizer.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 12:14:00 pm »

Or just make the non-perspective top-down layer visibility like I suggested in the thread about GPUs.

The suggestion was about using the same sequence of frames that is used for rock being mined, as an alpha-transparency mask for normal tiles that are different amounts of Z-levels down. DF uses OpenGL anyway, so at least technically, it is not impossible, or difficult. And fairly simple to understand at a glance, in my opinion. I think I should try and compile an image of how it would work....

There:

Not as impressive as I'd like,but the texture is a distinct enough difference from mere light/dark color variants. The dwarf wagon was pasted from elsewhere to show how it looks. Anything on lower levels is overwritten by anything on an upper level - like upward ramps under downward ramps.

[ January 27, 2008: Message edited by: Sean Mirrsen ]

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 01:41:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by BurnedToast:
<STRONG>There is a 3d visualizer program in the general discussion forum, but it's not real-time because it's too slow (or something, I forget). If you just want to get a general idea of what your fort looks like, it's great, but it's no good for a minimap type thing.

you can press.... shift-v? or something like that while playing and get a sort of a visualization but it's not super useful yet. It might help you a bit though.

Otherwise, I don't think we can make an in-game false perspective display just yet and you will have to wait for toady to improve the shift-v visualizer.</STRONG>

Many thanks for pointing out the visualizer. It's a big help.

-Albert